Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Sport | Fifa Wc Belgium Shatter Co Hosts Usas Dream In The Last 16

FIFA WC: Belgium shatter co-hosts USA’s dream in the last 16

Belgium national football team defeated United States men's national soccer team 4-1 in Seattle to reach the FIFA World Cup quarter-finals. Charles De Ketelaere scored twice, while Hans Vanaken and Romelu Lukaku added goals to set up a clash with Spain

By IANS
Published Date - 7 July 2026, 08:59 AM
FIFA WC: Belgium shatter co-hosts USA’s dream in the last 16
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Seattle: Charles De Ketelaere’s first-half brace, Hans Vanaken’s first World Cup goal and a late strike from substitute Romelu Lukaku send Belgium through to the quarter-finals with a 4-1 victory over co-hosts USA at Seattle Stadium.

USA became the final co-hosts to exit the tournament after Canada and Mexico had already bowed out in the Round of 16. Belgium has not lost a match since March 20, 2025, a 3-1 defeat against Ukraine in the 2024–25 UEFA Nations League promotion/relegation play-offs and head coach Rudi Garcia’s first match in charge.


Since then, Belgium has accrued an eye-popping 12 wins and six draws record across all competitions (FIFA World Cup, UEFA World Cup qualification, UEFA Nations League play-offs, friendlies), buoyed by a +40 goal differential in those 17 matches.

The USMNT has faced the Red Devils on seven prior instances. The first meeting—the United States’ lone victory—came in the form of a 3-0 victory at the inaugural 1930 World Cup in Montevideo, Uruguay. The loss on Tuesday maked USA’s have lost seven consecutive matches against Belgium.

The warning signs were there for Mauricio Pochettino’s side when Timothy Castagne’s 18-yard strike forced Matt Freese into a flying save at the end of Belgium’s first meaningful attack. Youri Tielemans then went within inches of turning home Dodi Lukebakio’s cross before Rudi Garcia’s men took a deserved lead. Leandro Trossard’s teasing delivery into the box caused all manner of problems for the USA defence, with Nicolas Raskin firing across for De Ketelaere to tap home.

Belgium appeared to be cruising, but their lead was cancelled out after 31 minutes when Malik Tillman’s deflected free-kick wrong-footed Thibaut Courtois. However, the scores were level for just 116 seconds as Trossard’s cross from the left found De Ketelaere, who headed home his second goal of the contest.

USA’s task was made even harder just before the hour mark when a defensive mishap gifted Belgium a third goal. Freese raced out of his area to clear but missed the ball, allowing De Ketelaere to steal possession before Vanaken’s long-range effort evaded Tim Ream’s attempted block and found the empty net.

The Stars and Stripes showed signs of life in the closing stages as substitute Sebastian Berhalter shot wide and Courtois twice denied Folarin Balogun, before Lukaku pounced on a loose clearance and finished with aplomb to put the result beyond any doubt in stoppage time. Belgium will lock horns with Spain, who eliminated Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal, at Los Angeles Stadium on July 11.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Belgium national football team
  • FIFA World Cup
  • Seattle
  • United States

Related News

  • Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

    Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

  • Iran to continue path of peace if US builds trust: Iranian President

    Iran to continue path of peace if US builds trust: Iranian President

  • US federal judge allows Trump administration to terminate TPS for about 350,000 Haitians

    US federal judge allows Trump administration to terminate TPS for about 350,000 Haitians

Latest News

  • US tech giant Meta steps up CSAM curbs in India

    17 minutes ago
  • East Bengal FC drawn with Al Hussein, Al Shorta and Al Seeb in AFC Champions League Two

    27 minutes ago
  • Vande Mataram row: We sang what Mahatma, Vajpayee sang, says Congress chief

    31 minutes ago
  • SC to form panel on police excesses against students during NEET protest

    50 minutes ago
  • Wanaparthy MLA Megha Reddy complains against Chinna Reddy, demands action

    59 minutes ago
  • Andhra Pradesh police launch hunt for shooting coach after family suicide

    1 hour ago
  • I was a huge fan of Harbhajan, says Ashwin

    1 hour ago
  • History-sheeters’ infiltrated July 20 protest, 240 cops injured: Delhi Police tells SC

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today
Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam