Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Heavy Shelling And Civilian Casualties Dash Hopes For Karabakh Ceasefire

Heavy shelling and civilian casualties dash hopes for Karabakh ceasefire

One witness said they were woken by a huge blast that levelled an entire square block of one- and two-floor houses in the early hours of the morning, leaving nine apartments destroyed.

By AFP
Published Date - 11 October 2020, 03:45 PM
Heavy shelling and civilian casualties dash hopes for Karabakh ceasefire
An electrician repairs a power line damaged by shelling by Azerbaijan's artillery after the beginning of the cease-fire during military conflict in Stepanakert. (Photo: AP)
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Stepanakert: Hopes that a Russian-brokered ceasefire between Armenia and Azerbaijan might hold were further dashed Sunday, with both sides accusing the other of intense shelling on civilian areas and escalating two weeks of fierce clashes.

Azerbaijan’s foreign ministry said that overnight shelling by Armenian forces on the country’s second largest city, Ganja, had left seven people dead and 33 wounded including children, less than 24 hours after the halt to fighting was supposed to take effect.


Rescuers in red helmets dug through piles of debris with their bare hands in search of signs of survivors, an AFP journalist in the city reported.

They retrieved one nearly naked body and gingerly put it in a white bag to be taken away in an ambulance while several horrified residents watched on and wept.

One witness said they were woken by a huge blast that levelled an entire square block of one- and two-floor houses in the early hours of the morning, leaving nine apartments destroyed.

“Everything I’ve worked for my entire life has been destroyed,” said resident Zagit Aliyev, 68.

The agreement to pause hostilities in order to exchange prisoners and the bodies of people killed after two weeks of fighting over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region was approved by Armenian and Azerbaijani foreign ministers in marathon Russia-brokered talks in Moscow.

Heavy shelling and civilian casualties dash hopes for Karabakh ceasefire

Eduard Chechyan gestures in the yard of his apartment building, destroyed by shelling by Azerbaijan’s artillery, during a military conflict in Stepanakert. (Photo: AP)

The truce officially entered into force at noon on Saturday but both sides almost immediately accused each other of violations.

On Sunday, the defence ministry in the breakaway region insisted Armenian forces were respecting the humanitarian ceasefire and in turn accused Azerbaijan of shelling civilian-populated areas.

Claims that Armenian forces were responsible for shelling Ganja were “an absolute lie,” it added.

The leader of the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, Arayik Harutyunyan, described the situation as “calmer” on Sunday, but warned that the truce was precarious.

An AFP journalist in the administrative capital of Stepanakert, which has been subjected to heavy bombings since the fighting erupted and is pockmarked with deep craters and unexploded ordnance, reported hearing loud explosions throughout the night.

Vahram Poghosyan, a spokesman for Karabakh’s leader, said the overnight shelling on Stepanakert was “a disrespect of the agreements reached in Moscow,” and called on the international community to recognise the province’s independence as a way to end the fighting.
New fighting broke out late last month, stemming from a long-simmering disagreement between Armenia and Azerbaijan over Karabakh.

The disputed territory is an ethnic Armenian enclave in Azerbaijan, home to about 150,000 people, which broke from Azerbaijan’s control in a war in the 1990s that killed some 30,000 people.

Its separatist government is strongly backed by Armenia, which like Azerbaijan gained independence with the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

The most recent bout of fighting has been the heaviest since the 1990s war, with more than 450 people reported dead, thousands forced to flee their homes and fears the fighting could escalate into a devastating all-out conflict.

The return of fighting has stoked fears of a full-blown war embroiling Turkey, which strongly backs Azerbaijan, and Russia, which has a military treaty with Armenia.

Heavy shelling and civilian casualties dash hopes for Karabakh ceasefire

Armenia and world leaders including Russian leader Vladimir Putin and French President Emmanuel Macron have denounced the deployment of pro-Turkish fighters from Syria and Libya to bolster Azerbaijan’s army.

France, Russia and the US — known as the “Minsk Group” — have for decades sought a lasting solution to the Karabakh conflict, but have failed to stop sporadic outbreaks of fighting, and Baku with Turkey’s backing appears set on continuing with its military intervention.

A senior Azerbaijani official said Saturday the truce was only meant to be “temporary,” and said Baku had “no intention to backtrack” on its effort to retake control of Karabakh.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Armenia
  • Armenian forces
  • Azerbaijan
  • Ceasefire

Related News

  • Defence Secretary Rajesh Kumar Singh arrives in Armenia to advance bilateral defence cooperation

    Defence Secretary Rajesh Kumar Singh arrives in Armenia to advance bilateral defence cooperation

  • Kim Jong-un expects ‘more excellent future’ in North Korea-Russia ties

    Kim Jong-un expects ‘more excellent future’ in North Korea-Russia ties

  • Assam Police seize 344 kg cannabis worth Rs 1.72 crore, one arrested

    Assam Police seize 344 kg cannabis worth Rs 1.72 crore, one arrested

  • Russian President Putin meets with North Korean foreign minister in latest high-level diplomacy 

    Russian President Putin meets with North Korean foreign minister in latest high-level diplomacy 

Latest News

  • Satwik-Chirag advance at BWF World Championships after Scottish pair withdraws

    4 minutes ago
  • Harish Rao accuses Congress government of suppressing licensed surveyors

    36 minutes ago
  • KT Rama Rao, Harish Rao condole death of Virahat Ali’s mother

    45 minutes ago
  • Dhruv Kapila-Tanisha Crasto advance to BWF World Championships third round

    47 minutes ago
  • Manav Suthar’s 6-55 helps India seal 165-run win over Sri Lanka in Galle Test

    1 hour ago
  • Sunita Ahuja arrives at Bandra Court amidst ugly spat with Govinda

    1 hour ago
  • PV Sindhu reveals Virat Kohli advice that changed her perspective during tough phase

    1 hour ago
  • Samantha Ruth Prabhu shares holiday moments with husband Raj Nidimoru

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam