Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Science & Tech | India Denies Ordering Block Of Reuters X Account Says Action Likely Due To Outdated Request

India denies ordering block of Reuters X account, says action likely due to outdated request

The Indian government clarified it did not order the blocking of Reuters’ X account, attributing the restriction to an outdated request linked to Operation Sindoor. Officials have asked X to lift the embargo and explain the inadvertent enforcement.

By IANS
Published Date - 6 July 2025, 03:15 PM
India denies ordering block of Reuters X account, says action likely due to outdated request
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Government of India has clarified that it has not issued any order to withhold the X account of the international news agency Reuters in the country.

“There is no requirement from the Government of India to withhold Reuters handle. We are continuously working with X to resolve the problem,” an official spokesperson said in a statement.


This clarification comes after Reuters’ X account was found to be withheld in India, prompting concerns over press freedom and censorship. Users attempting to access the handle were shown a notice stating that the account had been withheld “in response to a legal demand”.

Reuters confirmed the development earlier, saying it was seeking more information on why its handle was blocked in India.

According to officials familiar with the matter, the only request for blocking Reuters’ X account was issued on May 7, during Operation Sindoor launched against Pakistan following the massacre of 26 Indian tourists in Pahalgam in an Islamabad-sponsored terrorist attack. This was a part of a national security exercise.

However, although several hundred accounts were blocked due to national security reasons, no action was implemented to block the Reuters handle on X despite the government order, the official said.

It appears that X, owned by Elon Musk, may have mistakenly enforced the outdated order.

“The issue is not relevant anymore. The government has reached out to X, asking them to explain the blocking and to lift the embargo,” a senior official said.

Reuters has not issued any public statement on the issue.

Despite the block on Reuters’ main and Reuters World handles, several affiliated accounts, including Reuters Tech News, Reuters Fact Check, Reuters Asia, and Reuters China, remain accessible within India.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Government of India
  • India
  • Reuters
  • X

Related News

  • Pakistan extends airspace ban for Indian aircraft till Sep 24

    Pakistan extends airspace ban for Indian aircraft till Sep 24

  • Honourable reception awaits Bangladesh PM Rahman if he visits India, says envoy

    Honourable reception awaits Bangladesh PM Rahman if he visits India, says envoy

  • India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

    India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

  • India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

    India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

Latest News

  • New US green card rule may hit Indians

    16 minutes ago
  • Kiara Advani on ‘Toxic’: This one taught me to be comfortable with the unfamiliar

    24 minutes ago
  • ‘Vindictive politics’: SP hits out at BJP over ED raids on Azam Khan-linked locations

    29 minutes ago
  • Nearly 7 in 10 new EPFO subscribers are between 18–25 age group: Report

    35 minutes ago
  • Andhra govt allays fears over data centres affecting water supply to Vizag

    40 minutes ago
  • Shakira visits earthquake-hit schools in Colombia, announces 1 million usd relief effort

    42 minutes ago
  • Scottish MP Martyn Day marries Keralite Nitin Chand at Guruvayur

    52 minutes ago
  • 2026 Cincinnati Open: Sabalenka, Andreeva and Gauff advance to fourth round

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam