Saturday, Aug 22, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Iran Reverses Strait Of Hormuz Opening Amid Us Blockade

Iran reverses Strait of Hormuz opening amid US blockade

Iran has reversed its decision to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, insisting it will block transit until the US lifts its blockade of Iranian ports. The move comes after President Donald Trump reaffirmed the blockade’s continuation. With one-fifth of global oil passing through the strait, the closure threatens to drive prices higher.

By AP
Published Date - 18 April 2026, 05:08 PM
Iran reverses Strait of Hormuz opening amid US blockade
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Cairo: Iran has rowed back on its decision to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, warning that it would continue to block transit through the hugely important waterway as long as the US blockade of Iranian ports remained in effect.

The announcement Saturday came after US President Donald Trump said the blockade “will remain in full force” until Tehran reaches a deal with the US, including on its nuclear program. Tehran had reopened the strait Friday to commercial vessels.


Roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil passes through the strait and further limits would squeeze already constrained supply, driving prices higher once again. Iran’s Friday announcement about the opening of the crucial body of water, through which 20 per cent of the world’s oil is shipped, came as a 10-day truce between Israel and the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militant group in Lebanon appeared to hold.

Despite the escalation, Pakistani officials say the United States and Iran are still moving closer to a deal ahead of the April 22 ceasefire deadline.

The fighting has killed at least 3,000 people in Iran, nearly 2,300 in Lebanon, 23 in Israel and more than a dozen in Gulf Arab states. Thirteen US service members have also been killed.

 

Iranian lawmaker clarifies conditions for transit through Hormuz

A senior Iranian lawmaker said only commercial vessels authorized by the Revolutionary Guard are allowed to transit through the Strait of Hormuz.

Ebrahim Azizi, head of Iran’s parliamentary National Security Commission, said in a social media post late Friday that commercial vessels must pay “required tolls” before transiting the strait, using a route set by Iran last month.

“The time has come to comply with the new Maritime Regime of the Strait of Hormuz,” he said. “These regulations are determined by Iran, not by social media posts!”

He warned that the mechanism could change “if the U.S. attempts to create any disturbance for Iranian ships.”

Trump rejects notion of tolls by Iran on Strait of Hormuz

 

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Iran
  • Iranian ports
  • Revolutionary Guard
  • Strait of Hormuz

Related News

  • Trump calls Strait of Hormuz US territory at South Carolina rally

    Trump calls Strait of Hormuz US territory at South Carolina rally

  • Over 15 million barrels of oil moved through Hormuz with US Navy help: Energy Secretary Chris Wright

    Over 15 million barrels of oil moved through Hormuz with US Navy help: Energy Secretary Chris Wright

  • Iran FM says US anti-Tehran economic operation is doomed to fail

    Iran FM says US anti-Tehran economic operation is doomed to fail

  • Iran dismisses US economic threats

    Iran dismisses US economic threats

Latest News

  • BJP targets Congress over Vande Mataram stanzas, announces nationwide campaign

    27 seconds ago
  • Two minors died in a road accident in Khammam

    2 minutes ago
  • BRS announces support to government employees’ protest

    4 minutes ago
  • When Priyanka Chopra revealed what she disliked about Bollywood’s fake culture

    12 minutes ago
  • Gautam Gambhir unfazed by criticism, says focus remains on winning trophies for India

    15 minutes ago
  • Vaarahi expands Hyderabad presence with new Vanasthalipuram stores

    30 minutes ago
  • AWPO Hyderabad conducts placement drive, 97 ex-servicemen provisionally selected

    32 minutes ago
  • ‘Shambolic’: Ben Stokes slams decision to leave Headingley out of 2027 Ashes

    36 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam