Sunday, Aug 23, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Kumamoto Earthquake Claims 34 Lives As Rescue Efforts Continue

Kumamoto earthquake claims 34 lives as rescue efforts continue

The death toll from the powerful earthquake in Japan's Kumamoto region has risen to 34, with rescue teams continuing search operations. Thousands remain without electricity or in shelters as authorities respond to widespread damage caused by the magnitude 7.1 quake

By AP
Updated On - 31 July 2026, 11:41 AM
Kumamoto earthquake claims 34 lives as rescue efforts continue
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Kumamoto (Japan): The death toll climbed to 34 after a powerful earthquake in southwestern Japan triggered an explosion at a mall, toppled a factory chimney and flattened homes, the Kumamoto prefectural government said on Friday.

The magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck Japan’s southern main island of Kyushu on Tuesday.


Officials said 34 deaths had been confirmed as being related to the disaster, while one more death was still under investigation. On Thursday, authorities said more than 80 people had been injured, five of them seriously.

More than 3,500 homes were still without electricity, and more than 9,000 people were staying in shelters, where additional power sources were being installed to provide air conditioning. In the days since the quake, concerns have grown over illness, including those linked to the sweltering heat.

Search teams continued to work in the Kumamoto area on Friday, including at the site of the collapsed Aeon Mall shopping centre in the town of Kashima, where some of the worst damage was reported. The complex was bustling with thousands of people when the quake struck.

The company said about 3,000 shoppers were evacuated to a parking lot before an explosion occurred in another part of the mall, where some staff members remained at work. The mall’s second floor collapsed, trapping people.

At the site, seven people were confirmed dead and 11 had been rescued, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara told reporters in Tokyo on Friday. Authorities did not say how many people were still missing.

Meanwhile, the search operation ended at a Nippon Paper Industries factory in the Yatsushiro area, where a chimney collapsed during the quake, Kihara said. Search teams rescued 11 people there, while nine others were confirmed dead.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Aeon Mall
  • Japan Earthquake
  • Kumamoto earthquake
  • Kyushu earthquake

Related News

  • 7.1 quake jolts Japan’s Kyushu, tsunami alert issued

    7.1 quake jolts Japan’s Kyushu, tsunami alert issued

  • Powerful 7.5-magnitude earthquake strikes off Japan, tsunami alert issued 

    Powerful 7.5-magnitude earthquake strikes off Japan, tsunami alert issued 

  • Japan’s New Year Day Earthquake: Damage, Rescue Efforts, And Global Support | Japan News Today

    Japan’s New Year Day Earthquake: Damage, Rescue Efforts, And Global Support | Japan News Today

  • Disturbing images, videos of devastating Japan earthquake flood internet

    Disturbing images, videos of devastating Japan earthquake flood internet

Latest News

  • Congress MLAs demand apology; Konda Surekha distances herself from daughter’s remarks

    3 minutes ago
  • Rewind: The SIR Shake-up—how electoral rolls changed across States

    14 minutes ago
  • Dozens abducted from mosque in Nigeria’s Niger state

    16 minutes ago
  • Maha: Case filed against Abhijeet Dipke for allegedly entering Latur school

    25 minutes ago
  • MV Ocean‑Winner cargo ship sinks off Odisha coast, rescue op underway

    46 minutes ago
  • NIA raids 10 locations in J&K in cross-border terror probe

    1 hour ago
  • Drunk TSSP Constable thrashed for creating nuisance in Warangal

    1 hour ago
  • BJP slams Congress over Vande Mataram stance, vows to uphold national song’s honour

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam