Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Netanyahu Not Willing To End Gaza War Ready To Make Partial Truce Deal

Netanyahu not willing to end Gaza war, ready to make partial truce deal

Israeli Prime Minister's comments spark uproar from families of hostages held by Hamas

By AP
Published Date - 24 June 2024, 01:36 PM
Netanyahu not willing to end Gaza war, ready to make partial truce deal
File Photo
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Tel Aviv: The viability of a US-backed proposal to wind down the eight-month war in Gaza was cast into doubt on Monday after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would only be willing to agree to a “partial” ceasefire deal that would not end the war, comments that sparked an uproar from families of hostages held by Hamas.

In an interview broadcast late on Sunday on Israeli Channel 14, a conservative, pro-Netanyahu station, the Israeli leader said he was “prepared to make a partial deal — this is no secret — that will return to us some of the people,” referring to the roughly 120 hostages still held in the Gaza Strip. “But we are committed to continuing the war after a pause, in order to complete the goal of eliminating Hamas. I’m not willing to give up on that.”

Also Read

  • Iran-backed fighters vow to join Hezbollah in fight against Israel
  • 42 Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza city
  • Editorial: Growing isolation of Israel

Netanyahu’s comments did not deviate dramatically from what he has said previously about his terms for a deal. But they come at a sensitive time as Israel and Hamas appear to be moving further apart over the latest ceasefire proposal, and they could represent another setback for mediators trying to end the war.

His comments stood in sharp contrast to the outlines of the deal detailed late last month by US President Joe Biden, who framed the plan as an Israeli one and which some in Israel refer to as “Netanyahu’s deal”. His remarks could further strain Israel’s ties to the US, its top ally, which launched a major diplomatic push for the latest ceasefire proposal.

The three-phased plan would bring about the release of the remaining hostages in exchange for hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. But disputes and mistrust persist between Israel and Hamas over how the deal plays out.

Hamas has insisted it will not release the remaining hostages unless there’s a permanent ceasefire and a full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. When Biden announced the latest proposal last month, he said it included both.

But Netanyahu says Israel is still committed to destroying Hamas’ military and governing capabilities, and ensuring it can never again carry out an Oct 7-style assault. A full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, where Hamas’ top leadership and much of its forces are still intact, would almost certainly leave the group in control of the territory and able to rearm.

In the interview, Netanyahu said the current phase of fighting is ending, but that didn’t mean the war was over.

During the initial six-week phase, the sides are supposed to negotiate an agreement on the second phase, which Biden said would include the release of all remaining living hostages, including male soldiers, and Israel’s full withdrawal from Gaza. The temporary ceasefire would become permanent.

Hamas appears concerned that Israel will resume the war once its most vulnerable hostages are returned. And even if it doesn’t, Israel could make demands in that stage of negotiations that were not part of the initial deal and are unacceptable to Hamas — and then resume the war when Hamas refuses them.

Netanyahu’s remarks reinforced that concern. After they were aired, Hamas said they represented “unmistakable confirmation of his rejection” of the US-supported deal, which also received the backing of the United Nations’ Security Council.

In a statement late on Sunday after Netanyahu’s lengthy TV interview, the Palestinian militant group said his position was “in contrast” to what the US administration said that Israel had approved.

The group said its insistence that any deal should include a permanent ceasefire and the withdrawal of all Israeli forces out of the entire Gaza Strip “was an inevitable necessity to block Netanyahu’s attempts of evasion, deception, and perpetuation of aggression and the war of extermination against our people”.

Netanyahu shot back and in a statement from his office said Hamas opposed a deal. He said Israel would not withdraw from Gaza until all 120 hostages are returned. Hamas welcomed the broad outline of the US plan but proposed what it said were “amendments”.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, during a visit to the region earlier this month, said some of Hamas’ demands were “workable” and some were not, without elaborating.

Netanyahu and Hamas both have incentives to keep the devastating war going despite the catastrophic toll it has had on civilians in Gaza and the mounting anger in Israel that after so many months Israel has not reached its aims of returning the hostages and defeating Hamas.

The families of hostages have grown increasingly impatient with Netanyahu, seeing his apparent reluctance to move ahead on a deal as tainted by political considerations. A group representing the families condemned Netanyahu’s remarks, which it viewed as an Israeli rejection of the latest cease-fire proposal.

“This is an abandonment of the 120 hostages and a violation of the state’s moral duty toward its citizens,” it said, noting that it held Netanyahu responsible for returning all the captives.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Benjamin Netanyahu
  • Biden
  • ceasefire agreement
  • Gaza strip

Related News

  • India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

    India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

  • US envoy Jared Kushner meets Hamas chief in Cairo to revive Gaza ceasefire

    US envoy Jared Kushner meets Hamas chief in Cairo to revive Gaza ceasefire

  • Israel rejects Trump’s Gaza deal, insists on disarmament of Hamas

    Israel rejects Trump’s Gaza deal, insists on disarmament of Hamas

  • Netanyahu dials PM Modi, India, Israel reaffirm special strategic ties

    Netanyahu dials PM Modi, India, Israel reaffirm special strategic ties

Latest News

  • Yash Satwalekar, Vignesh Reddy hit centuries in A-Division league

    4 minutes ago
  • India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

    10 minutes ago
  • P Roopa Rao wins 100m, 200m gold at Indian Athletics Series

    15 minutes ago
  • Bengaluru to host India’s first World Happpiness Summit

    20 minutes ago
  • Eight UP labourers killed, 32 injured as pickup collides with dumper in MP

    25 minutes ago
  • BRS leaders demand removal of Malkajgiri lands from 22A list

    29 minutes ago
  • Bombay HC suspends life sentence of Dabholkar murder convict Sachin Andure, grants bail

    40 minutes ago
  • Five cobras rescued in Hyderabad during Naga Panchami

    41 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam