Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Nia Takes Over Investigation Of Mangaluru Cooker Blast Case

NIA takes over investigation of Mangaluru cooker blast case

The anti-terror agency took over the case this week soon after the Counter Terrorism and Counter Radicalization (CTCR) division of the Ministry of Home Affairs handed over the investigation to it considering a terror plot behind the act.

By ANI
Published Date - 2 December 2022, 12:15 PM
NIA takes over investigation of Mangaluru cooker blast case
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has taken over the investigation into the November 19 pressure cooker blast in an autorickshaw in Mangaluru wherein a passenger, identified as Mohammed Shariq, was carrying a pressure cooker bomb made from an Improvised Explosive Device (IED).

The anti-terror agency took over the case this week soon after the Counter Terrorism and Counter Radicalization (CTCR) division of the Ministry of Home Affairs handed over the investigation to it considering a terror plot behind the act.

Also Read

  • Mangaluru blast: Islamic outfit claims responsibility, warns of another attack
  • Mangaluru blast: Accused wanted to target children’s fest, say sources
  • Mangaluru blast: Investigators find suspicious articles

Speaking to ANI on Thursday, N Shashikumar, Mangaluru Police Commissioner said, the case which was with Mangaluru City police will be investigated by NIA.

“On Wednesday doctor certified that the accused is now fit to be questioned. So our investigating officer and their team questioned him on certain inputs, which were to be taken up in the investigation. We received instructions from our chief office that the case is being transferred to NIA and we have finished the formalities. They are taking up the case for further investigation. Henceforth, the case which was with Mangaluru City police will be investigated by NIA,” said Shashikumar on Thursday.

The auto-rickshaw exploded leading to injuries to both the passenger, Mohammed Shariq, who was carrying a pressure cooker bomb made IED and the autorickshaw driver Purushottam Poojari. The cooker bomb was designed to carry out a large-scale attack to fuel communal tensions in the coastal region and in the state.

Shariq was en-route to a pre-decided location for carrying out the blast when the explosion took place. The Forensic Science Laboratory Division (FSL) team reached the house rented by Shariq in Mysore the next day and recovered materials used to make explosives.

The NIA has started its investigation under the provision of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and investigating officers have started questioning the main accused Shariq as the state police have found his links with the Islamic State (IS) in its investigation, and he had radicalised his schoolmates, Syed Yasin and Muneer Ahmed, and introduced them to IS as well.

Together, the three of them had experimented and rehearsed the explosion on the banks of the Tunga river in the Shivamogga district. The practice explosion was also reportedly successful. According to sources, the main accused, Shariq, had a handler who was orchestrating and instructing him regarding all these activities.

Karnataka Home Minister Araga Jnanendra earlier this month had sent a request to the MHA to hand over the case to NIA.

The state police probe has also revealed that the conspiracy was hatched to carry out blasts and put the blame on Hindu organisations and to reignite a debate on ‘Hindu terrorism’ in the country.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • improvised explosive device (IED)
  • Mangaluru
  • NIA

Related News

  • NIA arrests key accused in Kerala illegal explosives seizure case

    NIA arrests key accused in Kerala illegal explosives seizure case

  • NIA arrests key PFI absconder K.P. Muhammadali at Delhi airport in Sreenivasan murder case

    NIA arrests key PFI absconder K.P. Muhammadali at Delhi airport in Sreenivasan murder case

  • NIA, Manipur Police arrest two more in killing of six Naga civilians

    NIA, Manipur Police arrest two more in killing of six Naga civilians

  • NIA court sentences ISIS conspiracy accused to 7 years in prison

    NIA court sentences ISIS conspiracy accused to 7 years in prison

Latest News

  • Harish Rao accuses Congress government of suppressing licensed surveyors

    9 seconds ago
  • KT Rama Rao, Harish Rao condole death of Virahat Ali’s mother

    9 minutes ago
  • Dhruv Kapila-Tanisha Crasto advance to BWF World Championships third round

    11 minutes ago
  • Manav Suthar’s 6-55 helps India seal 165-run win over Sri Lanka in Galle Test

    34 minutes ago
  • Sunita Ahuja arrives at Bandra Court amidst ugly spat with Govinda

    36 minutes ago
  • PV Sindhu reveals Virat Kohli advice that changed her perspective during tough phase

    39 minutes ago
  • Samantha Ruth Prabhu shares holiday moments with husband Raj Nidimoru

    44 minutes ago
  • Chhattisgarh: Minor raped by father; fake papers used to facilitate delivery, sell her baby; 8 held

    46 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam