Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Science & Tech | Nigeria Says Twitter Seeking Dialogue Over Ban

Nigeria says Twitter seeking dialogue over ban

Information and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed told reporters here on Wednesday that he receieved a message from the micro-blogging platform earlier in the day, seeking a dialogue with the Nigerian government, reports Xinhua news agency.

By IANS
Published Date - 10 June 2021, 04:43 PM
Nigeria says Twitter seeking dialogue over ban
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Abuja: The Nigerian government said Twitter is seeking a dialogue in a bid to resolve the issues leading to the suspension of its activities in the west African country.

Information and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed told reporters here on Wednesday that he receieved a message from the micro-blogging platform earlier in the day, seeking a dialogue with the Nigerian government, reports Xinhua news agency.


“They (Twitter) are now ready to hold senior-level discussions with us,” Mohammed said.

He, however, pointed out that what is more important to the government is “the sovereignty of Nigeria”.

The Nigerian government is insisting on the official registration of Twitter and other social media platforms, due to the latest development, he said.

“The cardinal thing is that Twitter must be licensed in Nigeria and Twitter must stop using its platform for activities that are inimical to the growth of Nigeria or to its corporate existence,” the Minister said.

Aside from suspending Twitter’s activities, Nigeria’s broadcast regulator, the National Broadcasting Commission, has ordered all local outlets to suspend their use of the social media platform.

The Nigerian government on June 4 said it was indefinitely suspending Twitter’s operations in the country, two days after the social media network removed a post from President Buhari where made a reference to the country’s 30-month civil war in 1967-1970, warning “those who wanted the government to fail” to desist from fomenting trouble.

“Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigeria civil war. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,” he said in the tweet which was deleted on June 2.

Twitter said it had deleted the tweet because it violated the site’s rules against abusive behaviour.

The US technology giant also suspended his account for 12 hours.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Abuja
  • African
  • Nigerian government
  • Twitter

Related News

  • UAPA notice on ‘TeluguScribe’ sparks free speech row in Telangana

    UAPA notice on ‘TeluguScribe’ sparks free speech row in Telangana

  • EU fines Elon Musk’s X 120 million euros for breaching Digital Services Act

    EU fines Elon Musk’s X 120 million euros for breaching Digital Services Act

  • Cloudflare outage disrupts ChatGPT, X, other internet services

    Cloudflare outage disrupts ChatGPT, X, other internet services

  • Social media fact-checks Peter Navarro’s attack on India’s Russian oil trade

    Social media fact-checks Peter Navarro’s attack on India’s Russian oil trade

Latest News

  • LAP EMI Calculator: Calculate Your Loan Against Property EMI Easily

    22 seconds ago
  • Woman’s body found in abandoned car in Hanamkonda’s Elkathurthy

    58 seconds ago
  • Panchayat secretary arrested for accepting Rs 13,000 bribe in Mancherial

    10 minutes ago
  • RBI Guidelines on Personal Loans: What Borrowers Should Know in 2026

    4 minutes ago
  • Rupee settles flat at 95.71 against US dollar as geopolitical tensions weigh

    35 minutes ago
  • 218 candidates shortlisted at Army Welfare Placement Organisation job drive in Secunderabad

    40 minutes ago
  • Cyber fraudsters cheat two Hyderabad residents of Rs 1.58 crore in stock market scams

    45 minutes ago
  • ED searches multiple locations in YS Vivekananda Reddy murder-linked money laundering probe

    49 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam