Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Pakistan Suicide Blast Death Toll Rises To 63

Pakistan suicide blast: Death toll rises to 63

The death toll from the powerful blast triggered by an Islamic State suicide bomber at a convention of a hardline Islamist party in Pakistan has risen sharply to 63.

By PTI
Published Date - 2 August 2023, 06:38 PM
Pakistan suicide blast: Death toll rises to 63
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Peshawar: The death toll from the powerful blast triggered by an Islamic State suicide bomber at a convention of a hardline Islamist party in Pakistan‘s restive Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has risen sharply to 63, authorities said on Wednesday.

The attack took place on Sunday when more than 400 members of the conservative Jamiat Ulema Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) party, known for its links to hardline political Islam, had gathered for a meeting under a large tent in the town of Khar, which borders Afghanistan.

Also Read

  • Pakistan: Supreme Court rejects former PM Imran’s plea seeking stay on Toshakhana case trial
  • Pakistan urges taliban to block terrorist use of Afghan soil
  • Pakistan: SC to hear Imran Khan’s plea in Toshakhana case today

The banned terrorist group Islamic State (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the suicide attack, which injured over 120 people in Khar, the capital of the Bajaur tribal district.

According to Dr Liaqat Ali of the District Headquarters Hospital, 43 bodies were brought to the hospital after the blast, and so far, a total of 63 people have died in the Bajaur blast, The Express Tribune newspaper reported.

Ali added that one severely injured person died at the Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) Peshawar, while four died at Combined Military Hospital Peshawar and two at Timergara Hospital.

He said that 13 bodies were handed over to relatives, the report said.

A total of 123 people were injured in the suicide blast and are undergoing treatment in different hospitals in the province, the hospital administration said.

An FIR was registered by the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Counter-Terrorism Department against unknown suspects on charges of terrorism, murder, attempted murder and others in connection with the bombing.

The local branch of ISIS has previously targeted JUI-F party leaders as they consider them apostates.

The JUI-F party is part of the coalition government led by the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N).

The major terror attack occurred as Pakistani political parties are beginning campaign preparations ahead of elections in the coming months.

The attack in Bajaur was one of the worst in northwestern Pakistan in the last decade.

In 2014, nearly 150 people, mostly school children, were killed in a Taliban attack on an army-run school in Peshawar.

On January 30 this year, a Pakistan Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up during the afternoon prayers in a mosque in Peshawar, killing 101 people and injuring more than 200 Pakistan has witnessed a surge in terrorist attacks following the Taliban’s return to power in Afghanistan in August 2021.

Various world leaders, including UN chief Antonio Guterres, UN General Assembly President Csaba Koros, and US State Department Spokesperson Matthew Miller, condemned the attack.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Death Toll
  • Pakistan
  • suicide blast

Related News

  • Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

    Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

  • Explainer: A new ‘NATO of the East?’ Why Mecca pact isn’t quite what it seems

    Explainer: A new ‘NATO of the East?’ Why Mecca pact isn’t quite what it seems

  • Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

    Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

  • India rejects Norwegian minister’s Kashmir remarks, flags cross-border terrorism from PoK

    India rejects Norwegian minister’s Kashmir remarks, flags cross-border terrorism from PoK

Latest News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    36 minutes ago
  • Labourer arrested for allegedly harassing two MBBS interns in Haryana college

    42 minutes ago
  • Opinion: Break the chain of online child sexual exploitation

    50 minutes ago
  • Editorial: Caste census exercise gets tricky

    53 minutes ago
  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    57 minutes ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    1 hour ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    1 hour ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam