Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Entertainment | Sexual Assault Case Film Director Ranjith Moves Kerala Hc Seeking Anticipatory Bail

Sexual assault case: Film director Ranjith moves Kerala HC seeking anticipatory bail

Ranjith, in his bail plea, dismissed all the allegations against him and said he was being "implicated" after 15 years.

By IANS
Published Date - 3 September 2024, 02:10 PM
Sexual assault case: Film director Ranjith moves Kerala HC seeking anticipatory bail
Malayalam filmmaker Ranjith
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Kochi: Malayalam film director Ranjith on Tuesday approached the Kerala High Court with an anticipatory bail plea in connection with a sexual assault case.

Ranjith had last month stepped down as the chairman of the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy after pressure mounted on him from several quarters following the Bengali actress’ revelation that in 2009 she was called to a flat in Kochi where Ranjith “misbehaved” with her.

Also Read

  • Hema Committee impact: After Mukesh and Prakash, actor Siddique seeks anticipatory bail

Trouble began for Ranjith days after the publication of the Justice Hema committee report, which deals with issues of rampant sexual exploitation faced by women in the Malayalam film industry.

The case against him was registered at the Ernakulam Town Police Station based on an email complaint made by the actress.

However, Ranjith, in his bail plea, dismissed all the allegations against him and said he was being “implicated” after 15 years.

He alleged that a section of people in the Academy has been scheming against him to remove him from the post.

The Hema Committee’s report revealed that women in the film industry face numerous issues, including, sexual demands, sexual harassment, gender discrimination, lack of safety in the workplace, insufficient basic facilities and wage disparities.

As of now, FIRs have been registered against nine film personalities, which include Mukesh, Siddique, Jayasurya, Edavela Babu, Maniyan Pillai Raju, directors Ranjith, V. K. Prakash, production executives Vichu and Noble after women actresses registered complaints.

Of those who have been named as “exploiters” by victims, Mukesh got interim relief from arrest till Wednesday, even as his petition is being heard in a lower court here, on Tuesday.

The Vijayan government has appointed a seven-member police probe team comprising four women IPS officials who are taking statements from the victims.

So far, none of the “exploiters” have been summoned to appear before the probe team.

The BJP and the Congress alleged that the Vijayan government is hand-in-glove with the wrongdoers, even while claiming to be with the victims.

 

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Director Ranjith
  • Hema Committee
  • Malayalam film industry
  • Mollywood

Related News

  • Rukmini Vasanth joins Nivin Pauly for new Malayalam film ‘NP51’

    Rukmini Vasanth joins Nivin Pauly for new Malayalam film ‘NP51’

  • Malayalam film body AMMA faces fresh internal turmoil

    Malayalam film body AMMA faces fresh internal turmoil

  • Malayalam filmmaker Ranjith sent to judicial custody

    Malayalam filmmaker Ranjith sent to judicial custody

  • Kerala filmmaker Ranjith held after actress files complaint

    Kerala filmmaker Ranjith held after actress files complaint

Latest News

  • Tiger pugmarks spark panic in Adilabad’s Bheempur

    5 minutes ago
  • Anupam Kher reacts to Ladakh video of woman allegedly disrespecting Army personnel

    12 minutes ago
  • Prince Harry, Meghan are returning to UK with their children, British newspaper says

    23 minutes ago
  • MP HC clears MBBS graduate’s path to secure degree after 13-year wait over domicile row

    35 minutes ago
  • Bhavnagar liquor deaths climb to seven; four cops suspended, 21 booked

    35 minutes ago
  • Rasika Dugal celebrates best actor win for ‘Delhi Crime Season 3’

    36 minutes ago
  • Harish Rao urges Rahul Gandhi’s intervention over alleged misuse of 22A provisions

    43 minutes ago
  • Tech leaders rally behind Trump’s crypto push

    57 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam