Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Tennis | Stefanos Tsitsipas Survives Scare Advances To Barcelona Open Semifinals

Stefanos Tsitsipas survives scare, advances to Barcelona Open semifinals

Tsitsipas defeated Diaz Acosta 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(8) in a quarterfinal clash on Friday evening and said it was "extremely difficult to sustain the same level throughout the entire match"

By IANS
Updated On - 20 April 2024, 02:45 PM
Stefanos Tsitsipas survives scare, advances to Barcelona Open semifinals
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Barcelona: Greece superstar Stefanos Tsitsipas survived a major scare against Facundo Diaz Acosta of Argentina at the Barcelona Open, saving two match points to earn a dramatic three-set victory to advance to the semifinals.

Tsitsipas defeated Diaz Acosta 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(8) in a quarterfinal clash on Friday evening and said it was “extremely difficult to sustain the same level throughout the entire match”. The Greek player said he came close to losing the match at certain moments and reminded himself that he wore a headband that had a mountain and that he had to climb it. “So, it kept me going,” Tsitsipas said after the match.

Also Read

  • Stefanos Tsitsipas clinches third Monte-Carlo Title
  • Injury forces Stefanos Tsitsipas to withdraw from Laver Cup
  • Novak Djokovic captures Astana Open title, defeats Stefanos Tsitsipas

In a thrilling two-hour, 31-minute clash, Tsitsipas had the chance to serve out the match at 5-4 in the third set but hit two double faults in the game as Diaz Acosta broke back. The Argentine then failed to convert a match point on the Greek’s serve at 5-6, before both players saved match points in the third-set tie-break.

With little to separate them, it was Tsitsipas who stood tall on Pista Rafa Nadal, saving another match point at 6/7 in the tie-break before he converted on his third opportunity to triumph. After his ninth win in a row, the fifth seed collapsed to the court in delight before he rose to his feet to embrace Diaz Acosta, who served two costly double faults in the tie-break. Tsitsipas is chasing his second title of the season, having captured his third Monte-Carlo Masters crown last week. He is up one spot to No. 7 in the ATP Live Rankings.

The 25-year-old, who is a three-time finalist in Barcelona, holds a 28-2 record against players ranked outside the Top 20 in the ATP Rankings on clay since the start of 2022. He will look to maintain that record when he meets No. 59 Dusan Lajovic in the semifinals on Saturday. Lajovic overcame Frenchman Arthur Fils 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 to reach his eighth tour-level semifinal and just his second since 2020. The World No. 59, who is a two-time tour-level champion, is the lowest-ranked semifinalist in Barcelona since then-World No. 63 Tsitsipas in 2018.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Argentina
  • Stefanos Tsitsipas

Related News

  • Argentina to observe National Football Teams Day every July 15 after 2026 World Cup triumph

    Argentina to observe National Football Teams Day every July 15 after 2026 World Cup triumph

  • Messi expresses heartbreak after Argentina lose World Cup final

    Messi expresses heartbreak after Argentina lose World Cup final

  • Ugly scenes at FIFA WC final: Punches thrown, Paredes grabs Garcia by throat after final whistle

    Ugly scenes at FIFA WC final: Punches thrown, Paredes grabs Garcia by throat after final whistle

  • Argentina vs Spain: All-Spanish World Cup final sparks emotional dilemma for fans

    Argentina vs Spain: All-Spanish World Cup final sparks emotional dilemma for fans

Latest News

  • Indian national declared bankrupt in Singapore over unpaid wages

    19 minutes ago
  • Amit Shah to attend SSB, border security programmes in Siliguri

    37 minutes ago
  • Aisha Wahab becomes first Afghan-American elected to US Congress

    51 minutes ago
  • Charter plane carrying eight crashes in western Alaska

    1 hour ago
  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    8 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    8 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    8 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    10 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam