Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Supreme Court Refuses Urgent Hearing On Plea Against Neet Ug Re Test

Supreme Court refuses urgent hearing on plea against NEET-UG re-test

The Supreme Court declined an urgent hearing on a PIL challenging the cancellation of NEET-UG 2026 and the nationwide re-test. The court said similar matters are already before another Bench, which will hear the petition along with related pleas in July.

By IANS
Updated On - 17 June 2026, 04:20 PM
Supreme Court refuses urgent hearing on plea against NEET-UG re-test
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday declined an urgent hearing on a public interest litigation (PIL) challenging the National Testing Agency’s (NTA) decision to cancel the NEET-UG 2026 examination and conduct a nationwide re-test for nearly 22 lakh candidates.

When the matter was mentioned for urgent listing before Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant, it was submitted that the plea questioned the blanket cancellation of the May 3 examination and sought relief for lakhs of candidates who were not connected to the alleged paper leak.


However, CJI Kant refused to grant an urgent hearing, observing that petitions related to NEET-UG 2026 were already being heard by a Bench led by Justice P S Narasimha.

The CJI said that matters concerning NEET were being considered by another Bench and that the present petition would also be listed before the same Bench in July.

The PIL has been filed by Dr Mangala Kohli, a former Assistant Director General of Health Services, through Advocate-on-Record Abhishek Chandra Mishra.

The petition questions the NTA’s decision to cancel NEET-UG 2026, conducted on May 3, and order a fresh examination across the country following allegations of paper leaks and examination malpractice.

According to the plea, while allegations of examination fraud require strict investigation and exemplary action against those involved, “the constitutional rights and legitimate interests of lakhs of bona fide candidates cannot be sacrificed owing to institutional and administrative failures attributable to the examination-conducting authority itself.”

According to the plea, investigations by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) have so far indicated a “localised operational compromise through specific organised networks” rather than evidence of contamination of the entire examination process nationwide.

Referring to the decision to cancel the examination, the plea said that NTA had compelled “approximately 22 lakh students, including overwhelmingly bona fide and meritorious candidates having no connection whatsoever with the alleged malpractice, to once again undergo the rigours of a national-level competitive examination”.

It further said that the decision had caused “severe academic, mental and financial hardship to lakhs of students” and disrupted the larger medical admission process across the country.

Besides challenging the re-test, the PIL has sought institutional, structural and technological reforms in the conduct of national-level competitive examinations, including independent oversight mechanisms, enhanced security safeguards and a transition towards technology-driven examination systems incorporating encrypted digital question delivery, biometric authentication and AI-assisted monitoring.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court declined to direct the NTA to conduct the June 21 re-examination in a computer-based test (CBT) mode.

A Bench of Justices P S Narasimha and Aravind Kumar observed that such a direction could not be granted at that stage when authorities were already engaged in conducting the fresh examination and posted the matter for hearing in July, along with other pleas seeking reforms in the functioning of the NTA.

The re-test is scheduled to be held on June 21 in the existing pen-and-paper format, with admit cards having already been issued.

Meanwhile, NTA Director General Abhishek Singh on Tuesday assured aspirants that the re-examination would be conducted in a secure and error-free manner, while cautioning students and parents against social media rackets claiming to sell “leaked papers” for hefty sums.

In a video message, Singh said there was “no leaked paper for the re-exam” and warned candidates against falling prey to fraudsters operating through Telegram channels.

He said the temporary suspension of the Telegram application till June 22 was aimed at curbing fake news and misleading claims related to the examination.

The NTA chief also said that the Indian Air Force was assisting with logistics to reduce the time required for the secure movement of question papers and ensure the smooth conduct of the re-test within 37 days of the cancellation of the original examination.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • CJI Surya Kant
  • NEET
  • Supreme Court
  • Telangana News

Related News

  • SC to form panel on police excesses against students during NEET protest

    SC to form panel on police excesses against students during NEET protest

  • History-sheeters’ infiltrated July 20 protest, 240 cops injured: Delhi Police tells SC

    History-sheeters’ infiltrated July 20 protest, 240 cops injured: Delhi Police tells SC

  • Elephant habitats, corridors being systematically destroyed, will to preserve absent: Ramesh

    Elephant habitats, corridors being systematically destroyed, will to preserve absent: Ramesh

  • SC issues notice to Centre on PIL for restraining police from revealing identity of accused online

    SC issues notice to Centre on PIL for restraining police from revealing identity of accused online

Latest News

  • Wanaparthy MLA Megha Reddy complains against Chinna Reddy, demands action

    14 minutes ago
  • Andhra Pradesh police launch hunt for shooting coach after family suicide

    16 minutes ago
  • I was a huge fan of Harbhajan, says Ashwin

    39 minutes ago
  • The Playscape Brings Purposeful Play to Hyderabad’s Kids

    54 minutes ago
  • Divya, Tejaswin, Gayatri Gopichand named for Arjuna Awards

    1 hour ago
  • Tarapith hotel fire: Police search for main hotel owner absconding since mishap

    1 hour ago
  • Rain disrupts coal production at SCCL mines

    1 hour ago
  • K-Circle to host annual school quiz on August 22

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam