Jangaon: A TSRTC super luxury (A/C) bus of Warangal depot 1 caught fire at Station Ghanpur town in the district on Friday evening. The alert driver, however, ensured that all the 29 passengers on board got off the bus, averting a major mishap.
Soon after the passengers out of the bus, it went up in flames and suffered 80 per cent damage in the incident. A motorcycle of a person from Raghavapur village parked near the bus also went up in flames. The staff of the local Gram Panchayat tried to douse the flames using water tank mounted on a tractor, but in vain. Meanwhile, a fire tender also reached the spot, but by that time, the bus was gutted completely as there were strong winds.
Depot Manager, Warangal Depot 1, K Bhanu Kiran said the bus was going to Uppal, Hyderabad, from Hanamkonda for the ‘second trip’. “As per information available with me, the passengers noticed some smoke and informed the driver when the bus was at the end of a flyover at Ghanpur town. The driver stopped the bus and tried to check it. But noticing something wrong, he asked the passengers to get down immediately,” he said, adding that the immediately went up in flames.
The value of the bus was between Rs 10 lakhs to Rs 15 lakhs since it is an old bus. The engine of this AC bus is in the rear part of the bus, the DM added. The DM along with other officials from Hanamkonda arrived at the spot and began a probe into the incident.
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.