Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Us Urges Sudans Warring Sides To Return To Cease Fire Talks Abide By Truce

US urges Sudan’s warring sides to return to cease-fire talks, abide by truce

United States urged Sudan's warring sides on Thursday to return to cease-fire talks and make a concerted effort to abide by a lasting truce

By AP
Published Date - 1 June 2023, 11:59 PM
US urges Sudan’s warring sides to return to cease-fire talks, abide by truce
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Cairo: The United States urged Sudan’s warring sides on Thursday to return to cease-fire talks and make a concerted effort to abide by a lasting truce after peace efforts collapsed yet again.

The appeal from the US State Department came after Sudan’s military on Wednesday suspended its participation in the talks, hosted in Saudi Arabia, with a rival paramilitary force.

Also Read

  • Sudan army, rival under pressure to extend truce after mediators show impatience with breaches
  • US, Saudi Arabia call for warring sides in Sudan to extend ‘imperfect’ cease-fire

The fighting between the Sudanese military, led by Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces, commanded by Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, broke out in mid-April. The violence has killed at least 866 civilians, according to a Sudanese doctors group, though the actual toll is likely much higher.

On Wednesday, heavy shelling near a market in a neighbourhood in the south of the Sudanese capital of Khartoum killed at least 17 civilians, the Sudan Doctor’s Syndicate said.

The Sudanese military’s withdrawal from the talks is a setback for Washington and Riyadh, which have been mediating between the two sides.

“Once the forces make clear by their actions that they are serious about complying with the cease-fire, the United States and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia are prepared to resume facilitation of the suspended discussions,” the State Department said.

Washington and Riyadh brokered a cease-fire on May 21, to allow for the delivery of humanitarian assistance and restoration of vital services. There have been seven declared cease-fires since the conflict broke out and all have been violated.

Later on Thursday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken told reporters at a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Oslo, Norway, that both sides were continuing to violate the cease-fire agreement that was renewed last Monday.

“We will continue to be engaged. At the same time, we’re also looking at steps that we can take to make clear our views,” Blinken said.

In late May, Blinken threatened Sudan’s warring generals with possible sanctions in the event of cease-fire violations.

Last week, Riyadh and Washington accused the military of continuing to carry out airstrikes, while condemning the RSF for occupying people’s homes and seizing property. Theft was occurring in areas controlled by both forces, it added.

The nearly seven weeks of fighting has reduced the Sudanese capital of Khartoum to an urban battlefield, with many districts without electricity and running water. The conflict has also stoked ethnic violence in the western Darfur region, killing hundreds there.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • United States

Related News

  • Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

    Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

  • New US green card rule may hit Indians

    New US green card rule may hit Indians

  • Explainer: A new ‘NATO of the East?’ Why Mecca pact isn’t quite what it seems

    Explainer: A new ‘NATO of the East?’ Why Mecca pact isn’t quite what it seems

  • Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

    Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

Latest News

  •  Stock markets rebound in early trade: Sensex jumps over 500 points

    1 minute ago
  • SFI-ABVP clash over Jadavpur University students’ union meet, several students hospitalised

    7 minutes ago
  • India warns against politicising UNSC terror listings

    14 minutes ago
  • Rashmika teases Vijay over ‘afternoon nap’ photo credit

    44 minutes ago
  • PM Modi remembers Rajiv Gandhi on birth anniversary

    56 minutes ago
  • Delhi razes unauthorised structures outside Pakistan High Commission

    1 hour ago
  • Vande Mataram row: BJP chief Nitin Nabin likens Congress to ‘new Muslim League’

    1 hour ago
  • Trump warns Iran of ‘very Draconian sanctions’

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam