Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | African Union Suspends Niger Until Effective Restoration Of Constitutional Order

African Union suspends Niger until ‘effective restoration of constitutional order’

African Union on Tuesday suspended Niger from all of its institutions and activities “until the effective restoration of constitutional order”

By AP
Published Date - 22 August 2023, 06:25 PM
African Union suspends Niger until ‘effective restoration of constitutional order’
AP Photo
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Niamey: The African Union on Tuesday suspended Niger from all of its institutions and activities “until the effective restoration of constitutional order” following last month’s coup.

The council of the 55-nation bloc made the decision after mutinous soldiers overthrew Niger’s democratically elected president last month and quickly entrenched themselves in power, rebuffing most dialogue efforts. President Mohamed Bazoum, his wife and son have been kept under house arrest in the capital, Niamey.

Also Read

  • Talks between regional bloc and Niger’s junta yield little, says official
  • Pope Francis calls for peaceful end to Niger crisis

This was the council’s first public communication since it met earlier this month to discuss Niger’s crisis. The Council called on all member states and the international community to reject the country’s “unconstitutional change of government and to refrain from any action likely to grant legitimacy to the illegal regime in Niger.” The AU commission and the West African regional bloc, ECOWAS were requested to urgently submit a list of members of the the military junta and their military and civilian supporters, including those involved in the violation of human rights of Bazoum and other detainees for targeted sanctions, it said.

People close to Bazoum say his electricity and water have been cut off and he is running out of food. Rights groups say they’ve been unable to access ministers and political elites who were detained by the junta after the coup.

Until now, Niger was seen by Western countries as one of the last partners in the Sahel region below the Sahara Desert that it could work with to counter a growing jihadi insurgency linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group. France and the United States have some 2,500 military personnel in the country.

ECOWAS, which has struggled to beat back a string of coups in recent years, has threatened the use of force if Bazoum is not reinstated. But the deadline to reinstall him came and went with no action.

An ECOWAS delegation was in Niamey on the weekend, but officials say talks have yielded little and the junta is ploughing ahead with its own plans, saying it will restore the country to constitutional rule within three years.

The AU did not weigh in on whether it would support the use of military force.

The AU’s Peace and Security Council could overrule a military intervention if it felt that wider stability on the continent was threatened by it. Analysts say if it rejects the use of force, there are few grounds under which ECOWAS could claim legal justification.

“While ECOWAS member states approved military intervention to reestablish Mohamed Bazoum into power, the AU remains divided and hesitant about the use of force. There are countries that are opposed to a military intervention,” said Rida Lyammouri, senior fellow at the Policy Centre for the New South, a Moroccan-based think tank.

The Council urged the military to place the interests of Nigeriens above all else and to immediately and unconditionally return to the barracks, and submit to civilian authorities.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • African Union
  • Niger
  • United States

Related News

  • Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

    Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

  • New US green card rule may hit Indians

    New US green card rule may hit Indians

  • Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

    Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    4 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    4 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    4 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    6 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    5 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    6 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    6 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    6 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam