Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Sport | Australian Open In February Players To Train In Quarantine Report

Australian Open in February, players to train in quarantine: Report

The proposals would allow players to train during a mandatory 14-day quarantine period.

By AFP
Updated On - 2 December 2020, 12:19 PM
Australian Open in February, players to train in quarantine: Report
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Melbourne: The start of the Australian Open will be delayed until February 8 because of coronavirus prevention measures, a newspaper reported, as negotiations on players’ arrival and quarantine in Melbourne continued on Wednesday.

International players would be allowed by the Victoria state government to arrive from January 15-17, according to detailed plans seen by French sports daily L’Equipe, meaning the first Grand Slam of the year will be delayed by three weeks.


The proposals would allow players to train during a mandatory 14-day quarantine period.

Tennis Australia would not comment on the report on Wednesday, which came a day after CEO Craig Tiley said arrangements for the tournament, originally scheduled for January 18-31, would be revealed soon.

“We are confident we will be in a position to finalise details for the Australian Open 2021 very soon,” Tiley tweeted Tuesday.

“Everything will require approval and agreement from the Victorian government before it can be confirmed,” he added.

Tiley had originally wanted players to fly in from mid-December so they could undergo quarantine before playing traditional warm-up events before the Grand Slam.

But state premier Dan Andrews reportedly only wants players to arrive from early January — making it impossible to play the build-up events before the original start date.

Andrews said on Wednesday he remained committed to holding the tournament, but safety was paramount in a state that only recently emerged from a months-long lockdown to eliminate a second wave of Covid-19.

“Only the Australian Open is a tennis tournament in a city where it can likely be assumed that those players will bring the virus here,” he told reporters in Melbourne.

A February 8 start date for the Australian Open could allow for a week of warm-up tournaments after the players emerge from quarantine, but would likely mean the men’s flagship ATP Cup would be among the build-up events that have to be scrapped in 2021.

Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal last month said it was an unprecedented situation and urged patience from players as they awaited confirmation of when they might be able to travel to Australia.

“That is difficult for everyone,” he said at the ATP Finals in London.

“We need to be flexible to understand the situation and to find a way to play as many tournaments as possible next year.”

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Australia
  • Australian Open
  • Corona Virus Deaths
  • Coronavirus

Related News

  • KBR Park one-way traffic system triggers confusion, snarls in Hyderabad

    KBR Park one-way traffic system triggers confusion, snarls in Hyderabad

  • ACB catches GHMC town planning supervisor accepting Rs 20,000 bribe

    ACB catches GHMC town planning supervisor accepting Rs 20,000 bribe

  • Hyderabad: 26-year-old shopkeeper dies of electrocution in Balanagar

    Hyderabad: 26-year-old shopkeeper dies of electrocution in Balanagar

  • Several Tollywood celebrities give up voting rights in Hyderabad

    Several Tollywood celebrities give up voting rights in Hyderabad

Latest News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    7 hours ago
  • Labourer arrested for allegedly harassing two MBBS interns in Haryana college

    7 hours ago
  • Opinion: Break the chain of online child sexual exploitation

    7 hours ago
  • Editorial: Caste census exercise gets tricky

    7 hours ago
  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    7 hours ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    7 hours ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    8 hours ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    8 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam