Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Badminton | Bai Requests Ioa To Allow Four Coaches For Tokyo

BAI requests IOA to allow four coaches for Tokyo

According to the norms, the number of officials travelling to Olympics cannot be more than one-third of the athlete.

By PTI
Published Date - 8 June 2021, 08:25 PM
BAI requests IOA to allow four coaches for Tokyo
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Badminton Association of India (BAI) has written to the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) for sanction of four travelling coaches, including chief national coach Pullela Gopichand, and two physios to travel with the Indian badminton contingent to the Tokyo Olympics.

Apart from Gopichand, who has been to the last three Olympics, the three foreign coaches — Agus Dwi Santoso (Indonesia), Park Tae Sang (Korea) and Mathias Boe (Denmark) were named in the letter, besides the two physios Sumansh Sivalanka and Evangline Baddam (female).


“Badminton has best shot at medals in Tokyo and a letter was sent to IOA to this respect on Monday mentioning the six member support team that also includes chief coach Gopichand’s name along with the squad of four players,” a BAI source said.

Rio silver medallist P V Sindhu, World Championship bronze medallist B Sai Praneeth and World No 10 men’s doubles pair of Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy are the Indian shuttlers who have qualified for the Tokyo Games scheduled to begin on July 23.

According to the norms, the number of officials travelling to Olympics cannot be more than one-third of the athlete. However, the sports ministry can allow additional officials at no cost to the government.

In the run-up to the Olympics, Sindhu has been training under Park at the Gachibowli Indoor stadium, while Santoso has been working with Praneeth and Boe was appointed to guide Chirag and Satwik in their maiden Games.

Hence, the BAI sought the opinion of the Olympic-bound Indian shuttlers before writing to the IOA.

With Gopichand at the helm of affairs, India had returned with a bronze and a silver from the last two editions at London and Rio de Janeiro.

However, the chief coach had last week reportedly said that he might not go to Tokyo this time.

“It is going to be tough, because you get only 1/3rd of the support staff contingent going with the team … I could be looking at not travelling to Tokyo as well because I do believe that the immediate coaches who have trained the players should go as the first priority,” he had said during a TV interview.


Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.

Click to follow Telangana Today Facebook page and Twitter .


  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • badminton
  • Badminton Association of India (BAI)
  • BAI
  • Indian Olympic Association

Related News

  • Treesa-Gayatri credit home crowd after reaching BWF World Championships quarterfinals

    Treesa-Gayatri credit home crowd after reaching BWF World Championships quarterfinals

  • After stunning Shi Yuqi, Ayush Shetty exits BWF Worlds and turns attention to Asiad

    After stunning Shi Yuqi, Ayush Shetty exits BWF Worlds and turns attention to Asiad

  • Ayush Shetty stuns world No. 1 Shi Yu Qi at BWF World Championships

    Ayush Shetty stuns world No. 1 Shi Yu Qi at BWF World Championships

  • Arjun-Hariharan savour World Championships opener win in front of parents

    Arjun-Hariharan savour World Championships opener win in front of parents

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    41 minutes ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    52 minutes ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    56 minutes ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    2 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    2 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    3 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    2 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    3 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam