Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Cricket | Cummins Feels Uae Would Be A Better Venue For T20 Wc

Cummins feels UAE would be a better venue for T20 WC

Postponement of IPL after multiple cases of Covid inside the bio-bubble has led to a big question-mark on whether the marquee ICC event should be held in India where a third wave is expected around that time

By PTI
Published Date - 7 May 2021, 06:23 PM
Cummins feels UAE would be a better venue for T20 WC
File Photo: Pat Cummins
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Male (Maldives): Australian pace spearhead Pat Cummins believes if hosting the ICC T20 World Cup amidst raging Covid-19 pandemic is a “drain on Indian resources” or is “unsafe”, it would be prudent to shift it to the United Arab Emirates.

The postponement of Indian Premier League after multiple cases of Covid-19 inside the bio-bubble has led to a big question-mark on whether the marquee ICC event should be held in India where a third wave is expected around that time.


If it’s going to be a drain on resources or it’s not going to be safe, then I don’t think it’s right to play it over here. That’s the first question which needs to be answered,” Cummins was quoted as saying by the ‘Age’ newspaper. Cummins said cricket authorities should check with Indian government and do what’s best.

“It probably too early to say. It’s six months away. The priority should be for cricket authorities to work with the Indian government to see what’s best for the Indian people,” Cummins said. Cummins feels hindsight always provides better perspective like many who feel that IPL could have been held in UAE this time also.

“The IPL in the UAE last year was brilliant, it was really well run, but millions of people were saying it should have been played in India, so what do you do? You can see both sides. They set up this tournament with all the best advice.”

Cummins, who has himself donated $50,000 to India’s Covid-19 fight, has a lot of empathy for what the country is currently facing. “Around the hotel there is less staff and when you hop in the bus to go to training there is normally a few hundred people waiting. There’s no one out there now and no crowds at games.”

He spoke about how half of the KKR’s Indian squad has had Covid-19 at some point last year.

“Close to half our (KKR) squad has had it at some point over the last year,” Cummins said.
“Their families are all currently in lockdown in different cities across India. A lot of the family structures are different to Australia, where you’ve got three generations all living in the one place.

“They (Indian teammates) always try to stay upbeat and positive, but it’s really tough out there. We’re always checking in with them to see how they’re going.”

Being in a bubble keeps people detached but when they see the sufferings, they are bound to feel helpless, said world’s premier Test bowler.

“I’ve felt quite helpless and quite detached from it all being kept in comfortable hotels. We were playing games and training like every other year. It just felt that I should be doing more for the people around us.”

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Australian pace spearhead
  • COVID-19 pandemic
  • ICC T20 World Cup
  • Pat Cummins

Related News

  • Australia suffer shocking home defeat as Bangladesh seal historic Test victory

    Australia suffer shocking home defeat as Bangladesh seal historic Test victory

  • Pat Cummins hints at team changes after Australia’s shock Test defeat to Bangladesh

    Pat Cummins hints at team changes after Australia’s shock Test defeat to Bangladesh

  • Indian coffee exports reach 140 countries in FY2025–26

    Indian coffee exports reach 140 countries in FY2025–26

  • US attacks Iran over ship being hit in Strait of Hormuz; Tehran lashes out again at Gulf Arab states

    US attacks Iran over ship being hit in Strait of Hormuz; Tehran lashes out again at Gulf Arab states

Latest News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    6 hours ago
  • Labourer arrested for allegedly harassing two MBBS interns in Haryana college

    6 hours ago
  • Opinion: Break the chain of online child sexual exploitation

    6 hours ago
  • Editorial: Caste census exercise gets tricky

    6 hours ago
  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    6 hours ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    6 hours ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    7 hours ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    7 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam