Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Other Sports | Grand Prix F1 Drivers In Dismay As Fia Increases Maximum Fines To 1m Euros

Grand Prix F1: Drivers in dismay as FIA increases maximum fines to 1m Euros

FIA said it was quadrupling the maximum fine stewards can impose from 250,000 euros, stating the amount had been static for the last 12 years and "does not reflect the current needs of motorsports".

By IANS
Published Date - 20 October 2023, 05:27 PM
Grand Prix F1: Drivers in dismay as FIA increases maximum fines to 1m Euros
File Photo
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Paris: Formula 1 drivers showed their discontent and dismay after the FIA increased the maximum fines to 1m Euros (£873,000) ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix.

The governing body of motorsports, the FIA said on Thursday it was quadrupling the maximum fine stewards can impose from 250,000 euros, stating the amount had been static for the last 12 years and “does not reflect the current needs of motorsports”.


“In October 2022, the Council of the European Union stressed the need to prevent and counter the use of pyrotechnics at sports venues,” read the FIA statement.

“Following a review of the situation in motorsport, it has been concluded that the unauthorised use of all pyrotechnical devices at races can pose significant public health and safety risks and, as such, should be prevented and countered.

“The [WMSC] therefore approved a new provision and definition in the ISC prohibiting the unauthorised possession and use of pyrotechnics at FIA competitions.”

The changes have increased the maximum fine for F1 competitors to €1,000,000 and €750,000 for the other FIA world championships (World Rally, World Rally-Raid, World Endurance, World Rallycross and Formula E) and €500,000 for all other FIA championships, cups, trophies, challenges or series.

Sanctions including fines can be applied to any FIA event competitor – be they an individual driver, a team, or even an event.

The news came as a shock for most of the drivers with Mercedes duo Lewis Hamilton and George Russell among the most vocal critics of the move and both wanting to know where the money collected from fines will be spent.

“If they are going to fine us €1m, let’s make sure that 100 percent of that goes to a cause,” said Hamilton.

“There is a lot of money in this industry and there is a lot more that we need to do to increase diversity, improve access, and create more opportunities for people who don’t have an opportunity to get into a sport like this.

“That is the only way they will get that money from me.”

Grand Prix Drivers Association director Russell advised FIA to use money from fines for the betterment of motorsport and expressed his concerns over the financial impact such fines could have on drivers.

“I think it’s pretty ridiculous that a driver could be fined €1m, In my first year of Formula 1, I was on a five-figure salary and actually lost over six figures in that first year from paying for my trainer, paying for flights, paying for an assistant – and that’s probably the case for 25 percent of the grid, said Russell.

“We’re doing what we love, so we’re not complaining about that. But if you take a year-one driver who probably by the end of the year is losing over €100,000 because of the investments he has to make, you fine them a million. What’s going to happen?” he added.

The now three-time world champion Red Bull’s Max Verstappen was infamously fined €50,000 during the 2021 season for touching the rear wing of Hamilton’s Mercedes in the Brazilian Grand Prix qualifying session and questioned the authority on new fine.

“If touching a rear wing is €50,000, then I would like to know what €1m is. Then maybe we can also sponsor the bottles of wine. I’ll get ready,” said Verstappen.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Formula 1
  • Grand Prix F1

Related News

  • Verstappen ends speculation with Red Bull contract extension through 2030

    Verstappen ends speculation with Red Bull contract extension through 2030

  • Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali says F1 entering exciting new era as global fanbase grows

    Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali says F1 entering exciting new era as global fanbase grows

  • Sepang returns to Formula 1 as Malaysia hosts Bahrain Grand Prix in 2026

    Sepang returns to Formula 1 as Malaysia hosts Bahrain Grand Prix in 2026

  • Formula 1 extends Las Vegas Grand Prix contract through 2037

    Formula 1 extends Las Vegas Grand Prix contract through 2037

Latest News

  • Charter plane carrying eight crashes in western Alaska

    11 minutes ago
  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    7 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    8 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    8 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    9 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    8 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    9 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    9 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam