Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Hundreds Rescued From Deadly Ferry Disaster In Philippines

Hundreds rescued from deadly ferry disaster in Philippines

  A ferry carrying over 350 people sank near Basilan, Philippines, early Monday. At least 316 were rescued and 15 bodies recovered. The cause is under investigation, while coast guard and navy teams continue search-and-rescue operations 

By AP
Published Date - 26 January 2026, 11:44 AM
Hundreds rescued from deadly ferry disaster in Philippines
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Manila: A ferry with more than 350 people on board sank early on Monday near an island in the southern Philippines. Rescuers have saved at least 316 passengers and retrieved 15 bodies, officials said.

The M/V Trisha Kerstin 3, an inter-island cargo and passenger ferry, was sailing from the port city of Zamboanga to southern Jolo island in Sulu province with 332 passengers and 27 crew members when it apparently encountered technical problems and sank after midnight, coast guard officials said.


The ferry sank in good weather about a nautical mile (nearly 2 kilometres) from the island village of Baluk-baluk in Basilan province, said coast guard Commander Romel Dua.

“There was a coast guard safety officer on board, and he was the first to call and alert us to deploy rescue vessels,” Dua said, adding that the safety officer survived.

One of the rescued passengers, Mohamad Khan, said that the ferry abruptly tilted to one side and took on water, hurling people, including him and his wife, who was holding their 6-month-old baby, into the sea in the darkness. He and his wife were rescued, but their baby drowned.

“My wife lost hold of our baby, and all of us got separated at sea,” a distraught Khan told a volunteer rescuer, Gamar Alih, who posted a video of Khan’s remarks on Facebook.

As Khan narrated their ordeal, his wife wept.

Alih, a village councillor from Zamboanga City, told The Associated Press that he volunteered to help in the search and rescue because some of his relatives were among the ferry passengers. They all survived.

Coast guard and navy ships, along with a surveillance plane, an air force Black Hawk helicopter and fleets of fishing boats were carrying out search and rescue operations off Basilan, Dua said.

Basilan Governor Mujiv Hataman said several passengers and two bodies were brought to Isabela, the provincial capital, where he and ambulance vans waited.

“I’m receiving 37 people here at the pier. Unfortunately, two are dead,” Hataman said, speaking by cellphone from the Isabela pier.

The coast guard said 316 passengers had been rescued and at least 15 bodies found.

The cause of the ferry sinking was not immediately clear, and there will be an investigation, Dua said, adding that the coast guard cleared the ferry before it left the Zamboanga port, and there was no sign of overloading.

Sea accidents are common in the Philippine archipelago because of frequent storms, badly maintained vessels, overcrowding and spotty enforcement of safety regulations, especially in remote provinces.

In December 1987, the ferry Dona Paz sank after colliding with a fuel tanker in the central Philippines, killing more than 4,300 people in the world’s deadliest peacetime maritime disaster.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Basilan
  • Coast Guard
  • ferry sinking
  • M/V Trisha Kerstin 3

Related News

  • Student kills schoolmate, himself in livestreamed Philippine school attack, official says

    Student kills schoolmate, himself in livestreamed Philippine school attack, official says

  • 51 dead after magnitude-7.7 earthquake strikes Indonesia’s Flores

    51 dead after magnitude-7.7 earthquake strikes Indonesia’s Flores

  • 6.3-magnitude offshore earthquake strikes Southern Philippines

    6.3-magnitude offshore earthquake strikes Southern Philippines

  • US Secretary of State Rubio travels to Philippines for ASEAN, Quad meetings

    US Secretary of State Rubio travels to Philippines for ASEAN, Quad meetings

Latest News

  • Kiara Advani on ‘Toxic’: This one taught me to be comfortable with the unfamiliar

    4 minutes ago
  • ‘Vindictive politics’: SP hits out at BJP over ED raids on Azam Khan-linked locations

    8 minutes ago
  • Nearly 7 in 10 new EPFO subscribers are between 18–25 age group: Report

    15 minutes ago
  • Andhra govt allays fears over data centres affecting water supply to Vizag

    20 minutes ago
  • Shakira visits earthquake-hit schools in Colombia, announces 1 million usd relief effort

    22 minutes ago
  • Scottish MP Martyn Day marries Keralite Nitin Chand at Guruvayur

    31 minutes ago
  • Honourable reception awaits Bangladesh PM Rahman if he visits India, says envoy

    38 minutes ago
  • 2026 Cincinnati Open: Sabalenka, Andreeva and Gauff advance to fourth round

    40 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam