Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Joe Biden Announces Complete Us Troops Withdrawal From Afghanistan

Joe Biden announces complete US troops withdrawal from Afghanistan

The upcoming September 11 is the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that drew the United States into war in Afghanistan.

By IANS
Published Date - 15 April 2021, 09:51 AM
Joe Biden announces complete US troops withdrawal from Afghanistan
File Photo: US President Joe Biden
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington: US President Joe Biden has announced that all US troops will be withdrawn from Afghanistan before September 11, a move to end the longest war in American history.

“The United States will begin our final withdrawal, begin it on May 1 of this year,” Biden said on Wednesday in his remarks at the White House, Xinhua news agency reported.


“US troops, as well as forces deployed by our NATO allies and operational partners, will be out of Afghanistan before we mark the 20th anniversary of that heinous attack on September 11th.”

“It is time to end America’s longest war. It is time for American troops to come home,” he said, noting that the US has achieved counterterrorism objectives in Afghanistan.

In his remarks, Biden made clear that the withdrawal is not subject to any changes of conditions on the ground.

“We cannot continue the cycle of extending or expanding our military presence in Afghanistan hoping to create ideal conditions for the withdrawal and expecting a different result,” he said.

“I’m now the fourth United States president to preside over American troop presence in Afghanistan. Two Republicans, two Democrats. I will not pass this responsibility on to a fifth.”

The upcoming September 11 is the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that drew the United States into war in Afghanistan. Biden said that 2,488 US military personnel were killed, and 20,722 have been wounded in this longest war in American history.

Biden highlighted that the US would continue to support the Afghan government and provide assistance to the Afghan military after the withdrawal. “While we will not stay involved in Afghanistan militarily, our diplomatic and humanitarian work will continue.”

Meanwhile, he voiced US support for the peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban facilitated by the United Nations.

Biden spoke with Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani earlier in the day. The two leaders discussed continued commitment to a strong bilateral partnership following the departure of US troops from Afghanistan, according to a readout issued by the White House.

The latest decision extends the deadline negotiated between the previous administration and the Afghan Taliban last year to pull US troops out of the country on May 1.

The United States and the Taliban signed an agreement in late February 2020, which called for a full withdrawal of foreign forces from Afghanistan by May 2021 if the Taliban meets the conditions of the deal, including severing ties with terrorist groups.

The Biden administration had concluded that the Taliban had not met its commitment under the US-Taliban deal.

The Pentagon said that there are roughly 2,500 US troops in Afghanistan, but US media recently said the number did not include 1,000 more US special forces in the country. Besides, about 7,000 NATO troops in Afghanistan rely on US logistics and security support.


Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.

Click to follow Telangana Today Facebook page and Twitter .


 

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Afghanistan
  • Biden
  • Joe Biden
  • Taliban

Related News

  • Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

    Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

  • New US green card rule may hit Indians

    New US green card rule may hit Indians

  • Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

    Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

Latest News

  • Sensex, Nifty open higher as realty, metal stocks gain

    11 seconds ago
  • Tata Motors to hike vehicle prices by up to Rs 25,000 from September 1

    5 minutes ago
  • Tunnel reportedly found near Qutb Shahi tombs in Golconda

    10 minutes ago
  • Delhi weather: IMD forecasts rain amid humid conditions

    16 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad man detained for alleged sexual assault of 12-year-old daughter

    25 minutes ago
  • Telangana HC questions govt financial priorities over welfare schemes

    37 minutes ago
  • Telangana HC refuses to stay Raidurgam land auction

    40 minutes ago
  • Indian national declared bankrupt in Singapore over unpaid wages

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam