Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Cricket | Langer Not In Favour Of Two Separate National Teams

Langer not in favour of two separate national teams

Australia are scheduled to play five T20s in New Zealand from February 22 to March 7. At the same time, they are slated to tour South Africa for three Test matches

By PTI
Published Date - 15 October 2020, 05:44 PM
Langer not in favour of two separate national teams
File Photo: Australia Cricket team Head Coach Justin Langer
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Sydney: Australia head coach Justin Langer is opposed to the idea of fielding two separate national teams in two different parts of the world for a Test and Twenty20 series to be held at the same time next year.

Australia are scheduled to play five T20s in New Zealand from February 22 to March 7. At the same time, they are slated to tour South Africa for three Test matches, which will form part of the inaugural 2019–21 ICC World Test Championship.


“The chairman (Earl Eddings) knows this, the CEO (Nick Hockley) knows this really clearly – my personal opinion is I don’t like it at all,” Langer said on SEN radio. “I don’t ever want to have two Australian teams in one place, that’s my personal opinion. In this year, with what’s happening with Covid, I understand there’s complexities to it.

“We’re one country, aren’t we? We’re not two countries. And we’re one sport,” he added.
Earlier this year, England, too, had to field two teams, one for an ODI series against Ireland, which was played in between the Test series’ against West Indies and Pakistan respectively, to recover from the losses sustained due to non-commencement of matches during the Covid-19 forced lockdown across the world.

Langer said the move will tamper with the quality of the players competing in the domestic first-class competition.

“The other thing is if you have two Australian cricket teams, that means if we take 18 players to New Zealand and 18 players to South Africa, that’s 36 players out of the back end of the Sheffield Shield competition, and that’s before any injuries that will inevitably happen,” Langer said.

“So you take all your best players out of the back half of the Shield competition, which we’ve always said is the best domestic competition in the world.

“So they’re the sort of things that worry me with this, but this is a really strange season. We’ve seen it in AFL, we’ve seen it in NRL, but I certainly would never like to see it being a permanent fixture,” he added.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Australia
  • Australia head coach
  • Earl Eddings
  • ICC World Test Championship

Related News

  • Tanzid Hasan becomes first Bangladesh batter to hit Test ton against Australia

    Tanzid Hasan becomes first Bangladesh batter to hit Test ton against Australia

  • I am very sorry: Mohanlal apologises for missing Sydney event over visa

    I am very sorry: Mohanlal apologises for missing Sydney event over visa

  • Australia’s H5N1 bird flu cases cross 200-mark

    Australia’s H5N1 bird flu cases cross 200-mark

  • KTR praises Bondi beach hero Rahmath Pasha for saving lives

    KTR praises Bondi beach hero Rahmath Pasha for saving lives

Latest News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    8 hours ago
  • Labourer arrested for allegedly harassing two MBBS interns in Haryana college

    8 hours ago
  • Opinion: Break the chain of online child sexual exploitation

    8 hours ago
  • Editorial: Caste census exercise gets tricky

    8 hours ago
  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    8 hours ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    8 hours ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    8 hours ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    8 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam