Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Maharashtra Govt Wont Disturb Obc Quota In Any Way Fadnavis

Maharashtra govt won’t disturb OBC quota in any way: Fadnavis

The Maharashtra government is clear about not disturbing the OBC quota in any way, Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said on Saturday.

By PTI
Updated On - 16 September 2023, 09:28 PM
Maharashtra govt won’t disturb OBC quota in any way: Fadnavis
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Nagpur: The Maharashtra government is clear about not disturbing the OBC quota in any way, Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said on Saturday amid protests to oppose the inclusion of the Maratha community in the Other Backward Class category for reservation purposes.

Fadnavis appealed to OBC members to end their protest in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Nagpur and Chandrapur.

Also Read

  • Maharashtra’s tallest Ganesh idol set to draw large crowds
  • Maharashtra CM unveils plaques of renamed districts, ‘Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar’, ‘Dharashiv’

Speaking to reporters at Nagpur airport, Fadnavis said, “The state government has taken a clear stand about not touching, reducing or sharing the OBC quota.

Hence, we request the OBC community to withdraw their agitation.” The deputy CM said he personally requested the agitators in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, where he attended a special cabinet meeting earlier in the day. “I believe that those (protesters) in Sambhajinagar will end their hunger strike,” he said.

Fadnavis said those agitating in Chandrapur and Nagpur should also withdraw their protest. “I will be meeting those in Nagpur and request them to withdraw their agitation,” he said.

The Maratha quota issue returned to centre stage in the state when the police on September 1 baton-charged a violent mob at Antarwali Sarati village in Jalna district after protesters allegedly refused to let authorities shift Manoj Jarange, an activist on hunger strike over the quota issue, to a hospital.

The state then began talks with Jarange and decided to give Kunbi caste certificates to the Marathas whose ancestors were described as Kunbi in Nizam-era documents of the Hyderabad kingdom. It will allow the Marathas from the state’s Marathwada region to avail of quota benefits as the Kunbis fall in the OBC group.

However, the move prompted the Rashtriya OBC Mahasangh to launch a protest to oppose the inclusion of Marathas in the OBC category for reservation in government jobs and education.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Devendra Fadnavis
  • Maharashtra
  • OBC quota

Related News

  • Marathi language rule: Action begins against non-compliant auto, taxi drivers in Maharashtra

    Marathi language rule: Action begins against non-compliant auto, taxi drivers in Maharashtra

  • Maharashtra tribal school faces ‘haunting’ rumours after girls behave strangely

    Maharashtra tribal school faces ‘haunting’ rumours after girls behave strangely

  • Mumbai police bust illegal hydroponic cannabis lab allegedly set up using YouTube tutorials

    Mumbai police bust illegal hydroponic cannabis lab allegedly set up using YouTube tutorials

  • ‘Dimagi Naxalism’ more dangerous than armed Naxalism: Fadnavis

    ‘Dimagi Naxalism’ more dangerous than armed Naxalism: Fadnavis

Latest News

  • Naidu alleges irregularities in APPSC Group-1 exams under YSRCP regime

    2 hours ago
  • Hyundai Motor India to hike vehicle prices by up to 1 pc from September

    2 hours ago
  • Congress to launch grassroots campaign on paper leaks, ‘chanda chori’

    2 hours ago
  • Pakistan protests US envoy’s remarks on Jammu and Kashmir

    2 hours ago
  • IndiGo website hit by technical snag, flyers face booking issues

    3 hours ago
  • Gujarat: Four dead, 18 hospitalised in Bhavnagar hooch tragedy

    3 hours ago
  • Amit Shah to chair Southern Zonal Council meet in TN

    3 hours ago
  • Editorial: Indian Railways—basic amenities off track

    3 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam