Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Pune Waste Plant Collapse Death Toll Rises To Three As Rescue Operations Continue

Pune waste plant collapse: Death toll rises to three as rescue operations continue

The death toll in the Moshi waste processing unit collapse near Pune rose to three after rescuers recovered two more bodies. Rescue teams continue searching for those trapped, while heavy rain and toxic gases hamper operations at the accident site

By PTI
Published Date - 11 July 2026, 09:01 PM
Pune waste plant collapse: Death toll rises to three as rescue operations continue
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Pune: The death toll in the Moshi waste processing unit collapse incident near Pune reached three after two bodies were recovered from the debris on Saturday, officials said. While the body of one Akshay Sawant was recovered in the afternoon, rescuers managed to take out four persons from the rubble some time later, one of whom was declared dead by doctors, they added.

“Sunil Korke (40), a resident of Alandi, was pulled out of the debris and taken to the Yashwantrao Chavan Memorial (YCM) Hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead,” an official said.


The three others recovered from the rubble are Sunny Mane (39), a resident of Gandharvanagari in Moshi, Mahesh Kumbhar (33) from Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, and Nagesh Gaikwad (26), a resident of Sanjay Gandhi Nagar in Moshi. They have been shifted to hospital for medical examination, the official said without giving any detail about their condition or medical status.

On Wednesday, a three-storey administrative building of Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation’s (PCMC’s) Waste-to-Energy (WTE) plant in Moshi collapsed after a heap of garbage fell onto the structure, trapping around 18 individuals under the rubble.

While seven of the victims were pulled out of the debris hours after the accident, two more persons were rescued after midnight on Wednesday. A body was recovered on Thursday morning, an NDRF official had said.

Meanwhile, relatives of the trapped persons are questioning the local administration’s pace of the rescue operation. Around 15 excavators, including specialised demolition machines, are engaged in the operation being carried out by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and other agencies, officials said on Saturday.

The search and rescue operation involving personnel of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), the fire brigade and other agencies was continuing at the site till late evening, officials said.
Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Sunetra Pawar visited the site and reviewed the rescue operation.

She said a few more people are still trapped, and search operations are underway to locate them. The Deputy CM said toxic gases emanating from the garbage heap are posing difficulties for the rescue teams, while heavy rains have delayed rescue and investigation.

“An inquiry into the unfortunate incident is currently in progress. Appropriate action will be taken based on the findings of the investigation,” she told reporters. Pawar said instructions have been given to the administration to ensure that the body found during the rescue operation is identified by family members.

“Financial aid is being provided by the government and the municipal corporation. From the day the incident occurred, I had been continuously monitoring the situation. I had issued orders to deploy the Army and the NDRF,” the Deputy Chief Minister said.

Recalling that the late Deputy CM Ajit Pawar had reviewed the site in the past, Sunetra said she would conduct a detailed review of the matter. “The municipal corporation, the state government, and the (private) company will hold a joint meeting to discuss the issue,” she added.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Building Collapse
  • Moshi
  • NDRF
  • PCMC

Related News

  • Rahul Gandhi to join Congress’ ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ campaign in Pune on August 22

    Rahul Gandhi to join Congress’ ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ campaign in Pune on August 22

  • Chakan infrastructure issues serious, Maharashtra govt working to resolve them: Fadnavis

    Chakan infrastructure issues serious, Maharashtra govt working to resolve them: Fadnavis

  • 7 killed, 3 missing after debris, water enter tunnel in Uttarakhand

    7 killed, 3 missing after debris, water enter tunnel in Uttarakhand

  • Trainer aircraft crashes near Baramati airstrip in Maharashtra, no casualties

    Trainer aircraft crashes near Baramati airstrip in Maharashtra, no casualties

Latest News

  • Amit Shah to attend SSB, border security programmes in Siliguri

    15 minutes ago
  • Aisha Wahab becomes first Afghan-American elected to US Congress

    29 minutes ago
  • Charter plane carrying eight crashes in western Alaska

    43 minutes ago
  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    8 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    8 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    8 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    9 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    9 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam