Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Sudarshan Tv Sc Takes Note Of Centres Affidavit Defers Hearing By Two Weeks

Sudarshan TV: SC takes note of Centre’s affidavit, defers hearing by two weeks

A bench of Justices D Y Chandrachud and Indu Malhotra noted that Centre's affidavit has been filed indicating the steps which have been taken in terms of earlier order of the top court.

By PTI
Published Date - 19 November 2020, 04:15 PM
Sudarshan TV: SC takes note of Centre’s affidavit, defers hearing by two weeks
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday took note of Centre’s affidavit in which it has found that Sudarshan TV, through four episodes of its “Bindas Bol” programme on alleged infiltration of Muslims in the bureaucracy, has breached the programme code.

In the affidavit which was filed Wednesday, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has annexed its November 4 order by which it has cautioned the channel of “stricter penal action” in case of future violations.


When the matter came up for hearing today, the top court deferred the hearing by two weeks while asking the contesting parties to go through the Centre’s reply for filing the rejoinder.

A bench of Justices D Y Chandrachud and Indu Malhotra noted that Centre’s affidavit has been filed indicating the steps which have been taken in terms of earlier order of the top court.

It said that the batch of petitions will be taken up for hearing after two weeks.

At the outset, advocate Rajat Nair, appearing for Centre, informed the bench that Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has filed the affidavit in which it has placed on record the November 4 order passed by it in the proceedings pertaining to the show-cause notice issued to the channel over the controversial programme.

The order passed by the ministry, which was placed on record, said “after taking into consideration the written and oral submissions of the channel and the findings and recommendations of the IMC, the ministry is of the opinion that while freedom of speech and expression is a fundamental right, the tone and tenor of the episodes telecast do indicate that the channel has, through the various utterances and audio-visual content, breached the programme code”, “The ministry finds that they are not in good taste, offensive and has a likelihood of promoting communal attitude,” it said, while, adding that the ministry has examined the four episodes, including the 13 video clips mentioned in the show-cause notice issued on September 23 to the channel.

“The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, after examining all facts and circumstances of the case and balancing the fundamental rights of the broadcasters, hereby ‘cautions’ Sudarshan TV Channel Ltd to be careful in future. It is further directed that if any violation of the programme code is found in future, stricter penal action would be taken,” it said.

The ministry stated that the telecast of the remaining episodes of the programme would be subject to the order of the apex court in the pending matter.

The apex court had earlier imposed a pre-telecast ban on the remaining episodes of the programme.

On September 23, the Centre had informed the top court that it has prima facie found violations of the programme code by Sudarshan TV’s “Bindas Bol” show and has issued a show-cause notice to the channel.

Earlier, the top court had questioned Sudarshan TV officials over the programme, asking whether the media can be allowed to “target a whole set of communities”.

It had asked the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the National Broadcasters Association (NBA) to give suggestions for strengthening the “self-regulating mechanism” of the NBA for electronic media.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Bindas Bol
  • Hyderabad
  • Hyderabad News
  • Hyderabad Today

Related News

  • Rs 1 crore recovered in 10 days after WhatsApp impersonation fraud in Cyberabad

    Rs 1 crore recovered in 10 days after WhatsApp impersonation fraud in Cyberabad

  • Telangana SIR draft electoral roll: How to check your name online

    Telangana SIR draft electoral roll: How to check your name online

  • Hyderabad: Three arrested for allegedly selling vapes, e-cigarettes

    Hyderabad: Three arrested for allegedly selling vapes, e-cigarettes

  • Harish Rao accuses Congress government of suppressing licensed surveyors

    Harish Rao accuses Congress government of suppressing licensed surveyors

Latest News

  • Watch: Six arrested over alleged blackbuck hunting in Bidar

    20 seconds ago
  • 22A restrictions leave ordinary families in distress, victims reach Telangana Bhavan for relief

    14 minutes ago
  • Old vs New Tata Tiago: Is the Facelift Worth the Upgrade?

    16 minutes ago
  • WC Insurance for Security Guards and Private Patrol Services

    20 minutes ago
  • Satwik-Chirag advance at BWF World Championships after Scottish pair withdraws

    1 hour ago
  • KT Rama Rao, Harish Rao condole death of Virahat Ali’s mother

    2 hours ago
  • Dhruv Kapila-Tanisha Crasto advance to BWF World Championships third round

    2 hours ago
  • Manav Suthar’s 6-55 helps India seal 165-run win over Sri Lanka in Galle Test

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam