Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Afspa Extended In 4 Districts Of Assam Amid Disturbances In Bangladesh

AFSPA extended in 4 districts of Assam amid ‘disturbances’ in Bangladesh

Districts of Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Charaideo, Sivasagar will remain 'disturbed area' under AFSPA, states government notification

By PTI
Published Date - 9 October 2024, 10:24 AM
AFSPA extended in 4 districts of Assam amid ‘disturbances’ in Bangladesh
Representational Photo
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Guwahati: The Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act or AFSPA was extended in four districts of Assam for six months in view of the “recent disturbances” in Bangladesh and its potentially inimical effect on the internal law and order situation, according to a notification issued on Tuesday.

The districts of Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Charaideo and Sivasagar will remain “disturbed area” under the AFSPA, it said.

Also Read

  • Centre extends AFSPA in parts of Nagaland, Arunachal for six more months

Reports from various agencies obtained through the police headquarters have indicated that “due to sustained efforts and proactive counter-insurgency measures of the security forces, the overall scenario in the State of Assam has significantly improved during the last few years and particularly during last three years”, the notification said.

“However, due to the recent disturbances in neighbouring Bangladesh and its potentially inimical effect on internal law and order situation, the Government of Assam recommends that the Armed Forces (Special Power) Act, 1958 may be retained for another 6 (six) months,” it added.

Under the AFSPA, an area is declared “disturbed” for the convenience of security forces.

The proposal was submitted to the Ministry of Home Affairs, which after due consideration decided to maintain the “status quo” regarding disturbed areas in the state for a further period of six months from October 1, the notification said.

The four districts have been the only areas under AFSPA in the state since October last year, with the law being gradually withdrawn from other parts.

It was withdrawn from Jorhat, Golaghat, Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao last year, while other areas were taken out of its purview earlier.

The AFSPA was first imposed in Assam in November 1990 and has been extended every six months since then.

The Act empowers security forces to conduct operations anywhere and arrest anyone without any prior warrant. It also gives a certain level of immunity to the security forces in case of an operation going wrong.

Civil society groups and rights activists have been demanding the withdrawal of the “draconian law” from the entire Northeast, claiming a violation of human rights by the armed forces.

The cry to repeal the Act gained renewed momentum following the death of 14 civilians in firing by security forces in a botched anti-insurgency operation and retaliatory violence in the Mon district of Nagaland on December 4, 2021.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • "recent disturbances" in Bangladesh
  • AFSPA
  • Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act
  • Charaideo

Related News

  • Assam floods: 32,000 affected across four districts, toll reaches 105

    Assam floods: 32,000 affected across four districts, toll reaches 105

  • Manipur security forces arrest 13 militants, recover arms cache

    Manipur security forces arrest 13 militants, recover arms cache

  • Assam flood situation improves, over 77,000 people remain affected

    Assam flood situation improves, over 77,000 people remain affected

  •  4 suspected terrorists spotted scaling Ramtund peak in J&K’s Doda; search operation underway

     4 suspected terrorists spotted scaling Ramtund peak in J&K’s Doda; search operation underway

Latest News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    6 hours ago
  • Labourer arrested for allegedly harassing two MBBS interns in Haryana college

    6 hours ago
  • Opinion: Break the chain of online child sexual exploitation

    6 hours ago
  • Editorial: Caste census exercise gets tricky

    7 hours ago
  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    7 hours ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    7 hours ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    7 hours ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    7 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam