Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Science & Tech | Biden Signs Executive Order To Prevent Cyber Attacks In Us

Biden signs executive order to prevent cyber-attacks in US

Admitting that the US is facing persistent and increasingly sophisticated malicious cyber campaigns that threaten the public sector, the private sector, and ultimately the American people's security and privacy

By IANS
Published Date - 13 May 2021, 03:12 PM
Biden signs executive order to prevent cyber-attacks in US
Photo: IANS
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington: Alarmed at repeated cyber-attacks on the country especially after at a key fuel pipeline last week, US President Joe Biden has signed an executive order, implementing new policies to improve national cybersecurity.

Admitting that the US is facing persistent and increasingly sophisticated malicious cyber campaigns that threaten the public sector, the private sector, and ultimately the American people’s security and privacy, Biden said on Wednesday that the government must improve its efforts to identify, deter, protect against, detect, and respond to these actions and actors.


“Protecting our nation from malicious cyber actors requires the Federal Government to partner with the private sector. The private sector must adapt to the continuously changing threat environment, ensure its products are built and operate securely, and partner with the Federal Government to foster a more secure cyberspace,” he wrote in the executive order.

The executive order outlines several initiatives, including reducing barriers to information sharing between the government and the private sector, mandating the deployment of multi-factor authentication in the federal government, establishing a cybersecurity Safety Review Board and creating a standardised playbook for responding to “cyber incidents.”

The executive order was passed after the Colonial Pipeline Company, which is the largest refined-products pipeline in the country, was forced to shut down due to a cybersecurity attack on May 7.

The company temporarily halted all pipeline operations after the cybersecurity attack involving ransomware was detected. It has now partially restored the pipeline.

The Colonial Pipeline transports more than 100 million gallons of fuel daily on the East Coast.

Biden said that incremental improvements will not give the country the security it needs.

“Instead, the Federal Government needs to make bold changes and significant investments in order to defend the vital institutions that underpin the American way of life. The scope of protection and security must include systems that process data (information technology (IT)) and those that run the vital machinery that ensures our safety (operational technology (OT),” he emphasised.

The cyber-attack on the fuel pipeline was a huge one after the SolarWinds software attack.

Since February, the Biden administration has been working to remediate the SolarWinds attack and change federal IT practices to protect against similar attacks in the future.

In another big cyber-attack after SolarWinds, at least 30,000 organisations across the US, including government and commercial firms, were hacked by China-based threat actors who used Microsoft’s Exchange Server software to enter their networks.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) then launched a mega operation to copy and remove malicious web shells from hundreds of vulnerable computers in the US that were running on-premises versions of Microsoft Exchange Server software used to provide enterprise-level email service.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • cyber-attacks
  • fuel pipeline
  • implementing
  • Joe Biden

Related News

  • Trump claims historic fall in US violent crime

    Trump claims historic fall in US violent crime

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

  • Trump administration asks US Supreme Court to allow White House ballroom work

    Trump administration asks US Supreme Court to allow White House ballroom work

  • Trump says he would ‘love to run’ for another term in 2028 despite legal hurdle

    Trump says he would ‘love to run’ for another term in 2028 despite legal hurdle

Latest News

  • Hyderabad police counsel 1,022 youngsters during week-long Operation Chabutra

    2 minutes ago
  • BRS cadres slam govt for delaying road work in Asifabad

    10 minutes ago
  • HIMTEX 2026 begins in Hyderabad with focus on advanced manufacturing technologies

    17 minutes ago
  • Premsagar Rao’s close aide unveils Venkata Swamy statue in Mancherial

    25 minutes ago
  • Despite cases, diversion of CMR paddy continues unabated in Telangana

    33 minutes ago
  • Vande Mataram row: Congress defends two-stanza practice, hits back at BJP

    39 minutes ago
  • University of Hyderabad to honour 25 Oggu Katha artists

    41 minutes ago
  • Telangana BIE dispatches inter pass certificates

    47 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam