Monday, May 25, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Tennis | Carlos Alcaraz Advances To Second Week At Roland Garros

Carlos Alcaraz advances to second week at Roland Garros

21-year-old Alcaraz reached the Paris semifinals last year, where eventual champion Novak Djokovic defeated him, and also defeated Korda at the same stage in the clay major in 2022.

By IANS
Updated On - 1 June 2024, 10:06 AM
Carlos Alcaraz advances to second week at Roland Garros
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Paris: Two-time Grand Slam winner Carlos Alcaraz defeated Sebastian Korda in straight sets to reach the last 16 of the French Open for a third successive year.

The Wimbledon defending champion, playing for the night session for the first time this year at Roland Garros, dispatched the American 27th seed 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 to set a round of 16 clash against the winner between another American player Ben Shelton, seeded 15th, and Canada’s 21st seed Felix Auger-Aliassime, with the pair’s match was interrupted by the rain when Auger-Aliassime led by 5-4 in the first set, reported Xinhua.

Also Read

  • Carlos Alcaraz retires due to ankle injury in Rio opener
  • French Open: Carlos Alcaraz advances despite rain disruptions
  • Carlos Alcaraz secures semifinal spot in Buenos Aires

21-year-old Alcaraz reached the semifinals in Paris last year, where eventual champion Novak Djokovic defeated him, and beat Korda at the same stage in the clay major in 2022.

The No.3 seed hit 38 winners (Korda totaled just 20) to 27 unforced errors (Korda had 40), and landed 78 percent of his first serves.

“It was a really good match. I think I played really, really, well, much better than the previous match. This was something that I really wanted: to get in the rally, to play good points, feeling (like) myself on the court, and I think I did that really well,” Alcaraz said on the court.

Italy’s Matteo Arnaldi delivered the biggest upset of the day as the unseeded player toppled 6th seed Andrey Rublev to reach the round of 16 at Roland Garros for the first time.

Over three impressive sets in which he barely stumbled, the 23-year-old handed Rublev his second straight third-round exit in Paris, 7-6(6), 6-2, 6-4.

It was the first victory over a top 20 opponent on clay or a top 10 rival at a major for the world No.35.

“It’s incredible. I think I have played the best tennis for sure of my life, I’d say, because to do it for three sets – it’s easy to do in two sets in a normal tournament, but in a Slam playing three sets at this level I think I wasn’t even expecting,” said Arnaldi, who will next face clay specialist Stefanos Tsitsipas for a place in the quarterfinal.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Carlos Alcaraz
  • Roland Garros

Related News

  • Sinner is so dominant; it’s hard to see anybody who has the belief to beat him says Devvarman

    Sinner is so dominant; it’s hard to see anybody who has the belief to beat him says Devvarman

  • India’s Karman Kaur Thandi makes inspiring Grand Slam return at Roland Garros qualifiers

    India’s Karman Kaur Thandi makes inspiring Grand Slam return at Roland Garros qualifiers

  • Jannik Sinner eyes strong run in Madrid before French Open

    Jannik Sinner eyes strong run in Madrid before French Open

  • Gauff and Sabalenka headline strong Roland Garros 2026 entry list

    Gauff and Sabalenka headline strong Roland Garros 2026 entry list

Latest News

  • Aryan Khan’s Netflix debut wins big at Screenwriters Association Awards

    1 hour ago
  • Opinion: A word to Telangana govt on rising paddy heaps

    2 hours ago
  • Six Bengaluru cops suspended over gelatin sticks recovery ahead of PM Modi’s visit

    2 hours ago
  • Delhi Capitals close campaign with commanding win over Kolkata Knight Riders

    2 hours ago
  • Editorial: Falling Rupee mirrors India’s vulnerability

    2 hours ago
  • ‘I am a big, big fan of Prime Minister Modi,’ says Trump

    2 hours ago
  • Ebola alert declared in Andhra Pradesh

    2 hours ago
  • BLA claims responsibility for Jaffar Express attack in Quetta

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam