Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Football | Fifa Says No Evidence Ball Hit Overhead Wire During Jude Bellinghams Equaliser Against Norway

FIFA says no evidence ball hit overhead wire during Jude Bellingham’s equaliser against Norway

FIFA has dismissed claims that the ball struck an overhead wire before Jude Bellingham's equaliser against Norway, saying data from the connected match ball showed no evidence of contact, despite protests from Norway and viral social media footage questioning the decision.

By IANS
Updated On - 12 July 2026, 11:22 AM
FIFA says no evidence ball hit overhead wire during Jude Bellingham’s equaliser against Norway
Jude Bellingham (3rd L) of England celebrates after scoring with teammates during the quarterfinal match between Norway and England at the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Photo: IANS
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Miami: FIFA has stated that there was “no evidence that the ball touched the overhead wire” in Jude Bellingham’s equaliser in England’s 2-1 World Cup quarter-final win against Norway in Miami.

Norway goalkeeper Orjan Nyland’s goal kick appeared to clearly strike a camera wire late in the first half, allowing England to quickly surge forward on the attack and Bellingham scored the tying goal.


As per the rule, if the ball had been noticed hitting the wire, play would have stopped and a drop ball would have been utilised to determine possession. But, play was not interrupted. However, the game kept going. Even though Norway’s goalkeeper Nyland and manager Stale Solbakken protested to the referee, their protests went unheard.

FIFA has reacted to the controversy, saying that the sensor within the ball showed “no peaks in the ‘heartbeat of the ball’ when in the air”. It also remains unclear whether video assistant referee Jerome Brisard reviewed the incident before the goal was allowed.

“Before England’s goal in minute 45+2 against Norway, the sensor in the connected ball showed no peak in the ‘heartbeat of the ball’ when in the air, and therefore no evidence that the ball touched the overhead wire and changed the movement of the ball,” FIFA said in a statement.

Interestingly, Brisard also served as the VAR official during Argentina’s controversial 3-2 quarter-final victory over Egypt, a match that sparked strong protests from the Egyptian camp, claiming that several referee decisions unfairly favoured Argentina.

However, clips of the incident are going viral on social media, showing that the ball hit the wire and changed its trajectory.

This is the latest ‘Sniko’ drama in the tournament. Earlier, a sensor in the ball was used to rule out a potential equalising goal for Croatia in their loss to Portugal as the sensor detected the ball had touched a Croatia player and rendered the goal offside.

The Argentina vs Egypt game also saw an Egypt goal taken off the scoreboard in the 58th minute after a VAR review determined that Marwan Attia had fouled Argentina defender Lisandro Martínez.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • connected ball sensor
  • England vs Norway
  • FIFA
  • Jude Bellingham

Related News

  • FIFA investigates Argentina FA, players over alleged World Cup violations

    FIFA investigates Argentina FA, players over alleged World Cup violations

  • Lionel Messi slams FIFA favoritism claims after Argentina beats England to reach World Cup final

    Lionel Messi slams FIFA favoritism claims after Argentina beats England to reach World Cup final

  • FIFA considering expanding men’s World Cup to 64 teams for 2030 tournament, says Gianni Infantino

    FIFA considering expanding men’s World Cup to 64 teams for 2030 tournament, says Gianni Infantino

  • Erling Haaland’s father Alf-Inge claims Norway were robbed by referee in World Cup loss to England

    Erling Haaland’s father Alf-Inge claims Norway were robbed by referee in World Cup loss to England

Latest News

  • Khammam MPs urge SCR to rename Bhadrachalam Road station as Kothagudem rly station

    17 minutes ago
  • R Upender Reddy assumes charge as MD of Hyderabad Growth Corridor Limited

    28 minutes ago
  • Casey Kaufhold to make Archery Premier League debut as Hyderabad hosts star-studded season 2

    30 minutes ago
  • Traffic curbs in Tellapur as storm water drain works begin

    34 minutes ago
  • Jwala Gutta calls revamped Khelo India Scheme a gamechanger for Indian sports

    35 minutes ago
  • BRS demands cancellation of PM Ekta Mall tender, seeks CBI and CAG probe

    36 minutes ago
  • FIR booked over alleged misuse of HMWSSB name and logo in Hyderabad

    38 minutes ago
  • Vivaan Dave beats Atharva Nawarange to win UTT National Ranking Table Tennis title in Kanpur

    41 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam