Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Indian Origin Man In Us Sentenced For Usd 20 Million Covid 19 Relief Fraud

Indian-origin man in US sentenced for USD 20 million Covid-19 relief fraud

A 54-year-old Indian-origin man has been sentenced to over three years in prison for his role in obtaining more than USD 20 million under the US government's economic aid plan following the coronavirus pandemic.

By PTI
Published Date - 5 October 2023, 06:34 PM
Indian-origin man in US sentenced for USD 20 million Covid-19 relief fraud
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Houston: A 54-year-old Indian-origin man has been sentenced to over three years in prison for his role in obtaining more than USD 20 million under the US government’s economic aid plan following the coronavirus pandemic.

Pardeep Basra of Houston was part of a multimillion-dollar Covid-19 relief fraud ring and had previously pleaded guilty to the fraud. He was sentenced to three years and five months on Monday along with six of his co-conspirators, who got prison sentences of various lengths, the justice department said in a press release on Tuesday.

Also Read

  • Indian-origin man campaigns for patients’ rights after son’s death in UK
  • London: Woman thought to be sleeping on flight was dead
  • Pakistan: Shehbaz Sharif rushes to London with ‘important message’ for brother Nawaz

The ring leader, Amir Aqeel, got 15 years in prison for the fraud.

The ring “fraudulently obtained more than USD 20 million in forgivable Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans that the Small Business Administration (SBA) guaranteed under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act,” the release said.

“He (Aqil) and his cohorts stole millions from the public fund, using that money to buy houses, a Porsche, even a Lamborghini, all while taking advantage of programs intended to help those struggling during the pandemic,” the release said.

Basra and his co-conspirators submitted more than 75 fraudulent PPP loan applications in 2020, falsifying the number of employees and the average monthly payroll expenses of the applicant businesses. They also submitted fraudulent bank records or fake federal tax forms supporting the PPP loan applications.

Some were paid large kickbacks in exchange for their assistance with the false and fraudulent PPP loan applications, the release said.

The conspirators also laundered some fraudulent proceeds by writing cheques from companies that received PPP loans to fake employees. Over 1,100 counterfeit paychecks for over USD 3 million in fraudulent PPP loan proceeds were cashed.

“While the rest of our country was reeling from the effects of an unprecedented global health crisis, these individuals conspired to fraudulently obtain and launder millions of taxpayer dollars from an emergency fund that was intended to help keep struggling businesses and employees afloat,” Special Agent in Charge Mark Dawson, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Houston, was quoted as saying in the release.

Federal agents also executed 45 seizure warrants in conjunction with the case and seized, among other items, a residence, a Porsche and a Lamborghini purchased with illegally obtained funds.

The four others sentenced for their roles in the loan fraud scheme are Khalid Abbas and Richard Reuth, who received two and a half years in prison. Rifat Bajwa and Siddiq Azeemuddin were sentenced to three years and two years in prison, respectively, the release said.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Covid-19
  • Covid-19 relief fraud
  • Indian-origin man
  • US

Related News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

  • Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

    Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

  • Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

    Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

  • Odisha reports two new COVID-19 cases, total infections rise to three

    Odisha reports two new COVID-19 cases, total infections rise to three

Latest News

  • Charter plane carrying eight crashes in western Alaska

    10 minutes ago
  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    7 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    8 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    8 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    9 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    8 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    9 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    9 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam