Hyderabad: The Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) with the approval of the Union Health Ministry has issued a gazette notification on July 5 for creation and establishment of clinical pharmacist posts in all hospitals, and also clearly defined the roles and responsibilities of clinical pharmacists in a hospital or a drug store setting.
The PCI in its gazette notification amended the Pharmacy Practice Regulations, 2015 as Pharmacy Practice (Amendment) Regulations, 2021 and defined the duty of clinical pharmacists and gave details of position and job responsibilities of clinical pharmacists. The notification essentially ensures clinical pharmacists’ posts are created in hospitals and now it is up to the Centre and State governments to implement in hospitals.
“We welcome the development, as it was a long pending demand for our Pharm D (Doctor of Pharmacy) graduates for creation of this cadre. Clinical pharmacists have extensive clinical knowledge and expertise in use of medications. This makes them uniquely positioned in the healthcare system to help patients optimise appropriate medication use, reduce medication related problems and improve health outcomes. We can add value for patients and doctors,” says Dr Sai Kumar Katam, national president of Doctor of Pharmacy Association, India.
A new cadre of clinical pharmacists can guide patients towards a balanced or optimum use of medications, in addition to promoting health, wellness and disease prevention in collaboration with physicians and other healthcare professionals.
Role of Clinical pharmacists
- Provide information and advice related to drug interactions, side effects, dosage and proper medication, storage to patients, physicians, dentists and other healthcare workers.
- Evaluate medicare coverage requirement requests
- Coordinate with pharmacy and medical staff to perform regular interventions according to present drugs
- Perform regular evaluation on all usage and dosage of drugs, ensure absence of reactions
- Assist patients adhere to the prescription, record patient info, recommend changing dosage if needed.
- Administer pharmacy care plans, maintain records of medications for patients
- Analyse side effects
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.