Question looms over Harry’s return to UK. Can he rebuild his relationship with Prince William?
Prince Harry and Meghan are reportedly planning to return to Britain with their children, sparking speculation over their residence, security and relationship with the royal family. Their move could offer a chance for reconciliation with King Charles and Prince William
London: The royal family’s long-running American soap opera is returning to Britain. The question is whether it will blossom into a happy reunion or descend into anger, division and chaos.
Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, plan to return to the United Kingdom from California in a matter of weeks. They have already enrolled their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, in British schools so they can start the autumn term with their classmates.
News of the surprise decision, which broke late Wednesday in stories published by the Telegraph and Sun newspapers, has sparked widespread discussion about where the couple will live, who will pay for their security and whether they will return to royal duties one day.
But perhaps the most difficult issue is whether Harry can repair his once-close relationship with Prince William, the heir to the throne, which was decimated by Harry’s very public complaints of mistreatment at the hands of Buckingham Palace staff, racism in the royal family and the failings of the monarchy. There are also concerns that Harry and Meghan could try to upstage William and his wife Catherine, when they once again share the British stage.
“That will be something for the palace to deal with,” Craig Prescott, an expert on the UK constitution and the monarchy at Royal Holloway University of London, told The Associated Press. “They wouldn’t want Meghan and Harry’s presence in the UK here to overshadow the work of the monarchy, and there will have to be some discussion and allowance for that.”
Harry and Meghan wanted their children to grow up British
The couple are expected to live at a private, non-royal residence outside of London, and they won’t resume their royal duties, which they gave up when they moved to the exclusive Southern California community of Montecito six years ago, British media reported late Wednesday.
Their return to the UK comes as King Charles III, Harry’s 77-year-old father, continues to undergo treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer that was discovered in 2024. The prince said last year that he didn’t know “how much time my father has left,” and has expressed a desire for his children to have a chance to get to know their grandfather.
While Harry and Meghan’s decision is a surprise to many, royal historian Ed Owens said recent events created a pathway for the couple’s return.
First, Harry spoke of his desire for reconciliation, then there was the apparently successful meeting between the king, his younger son and daughter-in-law and their children last month at Charles’ Highgrove estate in western England. In addition, there is Harry’s stated desire for his children to grow up British and that the UK looks like a safer place to be right now, given the divisions in American society, said Owens, author of “After Elizabeth: Can the Monarchy Save Itself?”
Royal experts expect Charles to forgive Harry
Finally, Owens said he expects Charles to forgive Harry because, as the supreme governor of the Church of England, he has to demonstrate the teachings of Christianity, including the virtue of forgiveness.
William may find forgiving his brother more difficult, but someday he too will become head of the church, Owens said.
“It may be that privately William never fully forgives his younger brother for what he deems the betrayal of the family,” Owens told The AP. “But publicly,” he will, “because for traditional moralists, traditional Christian values, they demand that there is this public act of forgiveness, that there’s reconciliation between the brothers.” Charles was informed of Harry and Meghan’s plans on Sunday, and the matter wasn’t discussed during their recent visit to the UK
Relations have been strained in the House of Windsor
Relations between Harry and Meghan and the rest of the royal family have been strained since the couple gave up their royal duties and moved to California in 2020 to earn their own living. The couple later signed lucrative contracts with Netflix and Spotify.
The rift deepened after the couple gave a series of interviews and Harry published his explosive memoir “Spare,” in which he said they left Britain to escape the restrictions of royal life. The couple also criticised palace officials for being insensitive to Meghan’s mental health and alleged at least one member of the royal family had expressed racist views when she was pregnant with their first child. Meghan describes herself as biracial.
Oprah Winfrey asked Harry to summarise his reasons for leaving Britain in a 2021 interview that was broadcast around the world.
“Lack of support and lack of understanding,” he replied.
Strains are exacerbated by long-running battles with the newspapers
Those tensions were exacerbated by Harry’s long-running legal battle with Britain’s tabloid newspapers, which he alleges illegally hacked his phones and invaded his privacy when he was younger. The courtroom drama seemed to be nearing an end after Harry and other plaintiffs lost their lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail last month.
That case left Harry facing a potential bill for millions of pounds after the court ruled the plaintiffs were liable for the publisher’s legal fees. Associated Newspapers has filed documents showing that its costs amounted to 34.5 million pounds (USD 47 million).
Harry has also been embroiled in a legal wrangle with the British government after a government committee refused to authorise police protection for him and his family when they are in the UK The prince says they need armed police protection because they are at risk as members of the royal family, regardless of whether they are working royals.
The couple’s security arrangements are a “private matter” for Harry and Meghan to deal with, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said when asked about the issue on Thursday.
After Harry lost his court challenge of the committee’s decision in May 2025, the prince said he hoped to reconcile with his family while continuing to vent his anger at those in Britain he feels have mistreated him and his wife.
“I can’t see a world in which I would be bringing my wife and children back to the UK at this point,” he told the BBC at the time. “And the things that they’re going to miss are, well, everything. You know, I love my country. I always have done, despite what some people in that country have done.” Although much of the media attention on Harry and Meghan has focused on family tensions and recriminations in recent years, Owens suggested that the story may now shift to the royals’ efforts to rebuild family harmony.
“I think time is a great healer. It creates space in a social media-saturated world,” he said. “People are always looking for the next thing to talk about and, arguably, that will be reconciliation between first of all father and son, and then potentially the two brothers.”
Related News
-
Prince Harry, Meghan are returning to UK with their children, British newspaper says
-
Andy Burnham will become UK prime minister after a meeting with King Charles III
-
Prince Harry’s UK trip sparks media buzz over whether Meghan and kids will join him
-
Amid Koh-i-Noor remark, NYC Mayor Mamdani facing criticism over ‘rude’ welcome to King Charles III
-
Question looms over Harry’s return to UK. Can he rebuild his relationship with Prince William?
17 seconds ago -
Kajal Dhochak wins gold as India bag two silver medals at U20 Wrestling Worlds
37 seconds ago -
Watch: CJP alleges attack during Rajasthan government school visit
20 minutes ago -
Lil Star Brings Healthy Baby Snacking with Familiar Ingredients
17 minutes ago -
Yash’s ‘Toxic: A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups’ gets off to a strong start as advance bookings open
32 minutes ago -
Mahaprabhu Jagannath to release in cinemas on August 28
33 minutes ago -
Meesho expects over 10 lakh seasonal jobs during festive season
38 minutes ago -
Kagaznagar roadside vendors dump vegetables on road to protest alleged harassment
27 minutes ago




