Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Sc Sets Aside Bombay Hc Order Acquitting Gn Saibaba In Maoist Links Case

SC sets aside Bombay HC order acquitting GN Saibaba in Maoist links case

A bench headed by Justice M.R. Shah remanded the matter back to the high court for fresh consideration and also kept the question of law (including sanction) open.

By Telangana Today
Published Date - 19 April 2023, 01:30 PM
SC sets aside Bombay HC order acquitting GN Saibaba in Maoist links case
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday set aside a Bombay High Court judgment which acquitted former Delhi University professor G.N. Saibaba in an alleged Maoist links case.

A bench headed by Justice M.R. Shah remanded the matter back to the high court for fresh consideration and also kept the question of law (including sanction) open.

Also Read

  • SC to hear on January 17 Maharashtra govt’s appeal against acquittal of G N Saibaba
  • Stay on release of ex-DU Prof Saibaba, SC suspends Bombay HC’s order
  • SC to hear on Saturday Maharashtra govt’s appeal against acquittal of GN Saibaba

The apex court suggested that the case should be heard by a different bench, and not by the same one which passed the order, as the previous bench had already formed an opinion on the question of sanction.

The top court asked the high court to dispose of the appeals expeditiously, preferably within four months.

The top court’s order came on the Maharashtra government plea against the high court judgment passed in October 2022, which allowed an appeal filed by Saibaba challenging a 2017 trial court decision convicting and sentencing him to life imprisonment.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, represented Maharashtra government along with advocates Siddharth Dharmadhikari, Aaditya Pande and Abhikalp Pratap Singh.

On October 15, 2022, the Supreme Court suspended the October 14 order of the Bombay High Court discharging Saibaba and five others in the Maoist links case.

The top court had noted then that the high court had not considered the matter on merits, and rather took a shortcut to decide the matter.

It added that the high court discharged the accused only on the ground that sanction was invalid and it was pointed out that there was irregularity in granting sanction by concerned authority.

The Maharashtra government had moved the apex court questioning the validity of the Bombay High Court‘s judgment discharging Saibaba and the five others in the case of having links with banned Maoists organisations due to absence of sanction.

“The High Court has erred in not considering the fact that the point of sanction was neither raised nor argued before the trial court and yet the trial court had rightly concluded the said point against the accused holding that there was no substantial failure of justice,” the state government said in its appeal.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Bombay High Court
  • G.N. Saibaba
  • Maharashtra Government
  • New Delhi

Related News

  • DoT directs telcos to enforce nine-SIM limit for mobile subscribers

    DoT directs telcos to enforce nine-SIM limit for mobile subscribers

  • India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

    India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

  • Bombay HC suspends life sentence of Dabholkar murder convict Sachin Andure, grants bail

    Bombay HC suspends life sentence of Dabholkar murder convict Sachin Andure, grants bail

  • Supreme Court seeks Centre, states’ response on property confiscation in paper leak cases

    Supreme Court seeks Centre, states’ response on property confiscation in paper leak cases

Latest News

  • Watch: Six-year-old boy dies after teacher allegedly slaps him at Visakhapatnam school

    9 minutes ago
  • Vizag: Six-year-old boy dies after being slapped by teacher in classroom

    34 minutes ago
  • Sampath Nandi records ‘timeless gem’ song for Sharwanand-starrer Bhogi

    36 minutes ago
  • GoC visits forward areas in Ladakh to review operational readiness of formations

    40 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad athlete Bikash Karar selected for World Masters Athletics

    48 minutes ago
  • Samiksha Bhatnagar on working with Deol brothers: ‘Sunny is very shy, Bobby made me comfortable’

    52 minutes ago
  • Rybakina retires injured against Swiatek, misses chance to become World No. 1

    53 minutes ago
  • Revanth Reddy denied permission by Central Government to visit USA

    54 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam