Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Sudans Military Accepts Un Proposal Of Weeklong Ceasefire In El Fasher For Aid Distribution

Sudan’s military accepts UN proposal of weeklong ceasefire in El Fasher for aid distribution

UN Secretary-General António Guterres urges both sides to observe a humanitarian truce in war-hit North Darfur; fate of RSF's response remains uncertain.

By AP
Published Date - 28 June 2025, 10:55 AM
Sudan’s military accepts UN proposal of weeklong ceasefire in El Fasher for aid distribution
Food distribution by the WFP for internally displaced persons at the Wad Almajzoub farm camp in Wad Medani, Gezira state, Sudan. Photo: AP
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Cairo: Sudan’s military agreed to a proposal from the United Nations for a weeklong ceasefire in El Fasher to facilitate UN aid efforts to the area, the army said Friday. UN Secretary-General António Guterres called Sudanese military leader Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan and asked him for the humanitarian truce in El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur province, to allow aid delivery.

Burhan agreed to the proposal and stressed the importance of implementing relevant UN Security Council resolutions, but it’s unknown whether the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces would agree and comply with the ceasefire. “We are making contacts with both sides with that objective, and that was the fundamental reason for that phone contact. We have a dramatic situation in El Fasher,” Guterres told reporters on Friday. No further details were revealed about the specifics of the ceasefire, including when it could go into effect.


Sudan plunged into war in April 2023 when simmering tensions between the Sudanese army and the rival RSF escalated into battles in the capital, Khartoum, and spread across the country, killing more than 20,000 people. The war has also driven more than 14 million people from their homes and pushed parts of the country into famine. UNICEF said earlier this year that an estimated 61,800 children have been internally displaced since the war began.

Guterres said on Friday that a humanitarian truce is needed for effective aid distribution, and it must be agreed upon several days in advance to prepare for a large-scale delivery in the El Fasher area, which has seen repeated waves of violence recently.

El-Fasher, more than 800 kilometres southwest of Khartoum, is under the control of the military. The RSF has been trying to capture El Fasher for a year to solidify its control over the entire Darfur region. The paramilitary’s attempts included launching repeated attacks on the city and two major famine-stricken displacement camps on its outskirts.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Antonio Guterres
  • Ceasefire
  • El Fasher
  • United Nations

Related News

  • UN report links November 2025 Red Fort blast to AQIS

    UN report links November 2025 Red Fort blast to AQIS

  •  India donates five peacocks to UN Geneva, reviving decades-old tradition  

     India donates five peacocks to UN Geneva, reviving decades-old tradition  

  • UN chief backs probe into PoK protest killings

    UN chief backs probe into PoK protest killings

  • India extends $840,000 climate risk protection grant to Tanzania

    India extends $840,000 climate risk protection grant to Tanzania

Latest News

  • Phenom to expand India footprint, create 2,000 jobs in Telangana

    8 minutes ago
  • Khethworks opens Hyderabad office to boost solar irrigation solutions for small farmers

    25 minutes ago
  • Telangana Under-17 chess championship from August 22

    27 minutes ago
  • Gachibowli Hockey Stadium gets FIH Category-1 certification

    31 minutes ago
  • Polytechnics merger with YISU: TP‑JAC urges govt to safeguard diploma education

    33 minutes ago
  • Deepak Yadav, Vamsi Reddy, Ashwith hit centuries in HCA C-Division league

    20 minutes ago
  • Harikrishna bags double at Gujarati Seva Mandal seniors table tennis tournament

    33 minutes ago
  • Left-wing student unions demand withdrawal of GO No. 97 on polytechnic education

    52 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam