Sunday, Aug 23, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Trump Withdraws From Un Human Rights Body Stops Funding For Palestinian Refugees

Trump withdraws from UN human rights body, stops funding for Palestinian refugees

US President’s announcement came on the day he met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

By AP
Published Date - 5 February 2025, 08:27 AM
Trump withdraws from UN human rights body, stops funding for Palestinian refugees
US President Donald Trump.
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington: President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that the United States will withdraw from the top UN human rights body and will not resume funding for the UN agency helping Palestinian refugees.

The US left the Geneva-based Human Rights Council last year, and it stopped funding the agency assisting Palestinian refugees, known as UNRWA, after Israel accused it of harbouring Hamas militants who participated in the surprise October 7, 2023, attacks in southern Israel, which UNRWA denies.


Trump’s announcement came on the day he met with visiting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, whose country has long accused both the rights body and UNRWA of bias against Israel and antisemitism.

Trump’s executive orders also call for a review of American involvement in the Paris-based UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, known as UNESCO, and a review of US funding for the United Nations in light of “the wild disparities in levels of funding among different countries.”

The United States, with the world’s largest economy, pays 22 per cent of the UN’s regular operating budget, with China the second-largest contributor.

“I’ve always felt that the UN has tremendous potential,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. “It’s not living up to that potential right now. … They’ve got to get their act together.”

He said the UN needs “to be fair to countries that deserve fairness,” adding that there are some countries, which he didn’t name, that are “outliers, that are very bad and they’re being almost preferred.”

Before Trump’s announcement, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric reiterated the Human Rights Council’s importance and UNRWA’s work in delivering “critical services to Palestinians.”

Trump also pulled the US out of the Human Rights Council in June 2018. His ambassador to the UN at the time, Nikki Haley, accused the council of “chronic bias against Israel” and pointed to what she said were human rights abusers among its members.

Former President Joe Biden renewed support for the Human Rights Council, and the US won a seat on the 47-nation body in October 2021. But the Biden administration announced in late September that the United States would not seek a second consecutive term.

Trump’s order has little concrete effect because the United States is already not a council member, said council spokesperson Pascal Sim. But like all other UN member countries, the US automatically has informal observer status and will still have a seat in the council’s ornate round chamber at the UN complex in Geneva.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Donald Trump
  • UN Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA)
  • UN Human Rights
  • United Nations (UN)

Related News

  • Complete erosion of sovereignty as foundation of US-based inter-State system: Iran on US sanctions

    Complete erosion of sovereignty as foundation of US-based inter-State system: Iran on US sanctions

  • Donald Trump says Xi Jinping will visit US in two weeks

    Donald Trump says Xi Jinping will visit US in two weeks

  • Trump calls Strait of Hormuz US territory at South Carolina rally

    Trump calls Strait of Hormuz US territory at South Carolina rally

  • Trump administration blocked from accessing commercial drivers’ sensitive data

    Trump administration blocked from accessing commercial drivers’ sensitive data

Latest News

  • Congress MLAs demand apology; Konda Surekha distances herself from daughter’s remarks

    47 minutes ago
  • Rewind: The SIR Shake-up—how electoral rolls changed across States

    58 minutes ago
  • Dozens abducted from mosque in Nigeria’s Niger state

    60 minutes ago
  • Maha: Case filed against Abhijeet Dipke for allegedly entering Latur school

    1 hour ago
  • MV Ocean‑Winner cargo ship sinks off Odisha coast, rescue op underway

    1 hour ago
  • NIA raids 10 locations in J&K in cross-border terror probe

    2 hours ago
  • Drunk TSSP Constable thrashed for creating nuisance in Warangal

    2 hours ago
  • BJP slams Congress over Vande Mataram stance, vows to uphold national song’s honour

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam