Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Cricket | Aussies Postpone Sa Tour Put Them In Doubt For Wtc Final

Aussies postpone SA tour, put them in doubt for WTC final

The Australian team was scheduled to play a three-Test series during the tour. However, with the host nation battling a second wave of Covid-19 and a new variant of the virus, Cricket Australia's (CA) interim chief executive

By PTI
Updated On - 2 February 2021, 07:45 PM
Aussies postpone SA tour, put them in doubt for WTC final
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Sydney: Australia on Tuesday postponed their tour of South Africa next month citing “unacceptable health and safety risk” in that country because of a fresh Covid-19 outbreak, a decision that virtually knocks them out of contention from the World Test Championship final later this year.

The Australian team was scheduled to play a three-Test series during the tour. However, with the host nation battling a second wave of Covid-19 and a new variant of the virus, Cricket Australia’s (CA) interim chief executive Nick Hockley on Tuesday said travelling to South Africa is not possible given the current scenario. “…following extensive due diligence with medical experts it has become clear that travelling from Australia to South Africa at this current time poses an unacceptable level of health and safety risk to our players, support staff and the community,” Hockley said in a statement.


“We acknowledge the significant amount of work by CSA in planning for the tour, during which we made it clear that CA was prepared to take on additional cost and effort to make the series happen,” the statement read.

The announcement is a blow to Australia’s chances of qualifying for the WTC final, scheduled to be played in June in England. The top two teams in the points table will make the final. Australia, currently third in the WTC points table behind leaders India and New Zealand, needed to win two Tests in South Africa and prevent their hosts from winning one, to ensure their spot in the inaugural WTC decider.

“This decision has not been made lightly and we are extremely disappointed, especially given the importance of continuing international cricket at this time, our valued relationship with CSA, and our aspirations to compete in the inaugural ICC World Test Championship,” Hockley said.

For Australia to have a chance at qualification, India and England will need to draw at least twice in their four-Test series starting on Friday. “…we have been consistent since the start of the pandemic that health and safety of our people is always our number one priority and unfortunately despite best efforts to agree to a bio-security plan, the risks are simple too great at this time,” Hockley said.

“As difficult and disappointing a decision as this is , especially for Justin, Tim and the team, we have a duty of care to our people and their health and safety can’t be compromised.” This is the second series to be postponed in South Africa due to Covid-19. Last year, England had pulled out of their tour midway through an ODI series after there was an outbreak of cases in the team hotel.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Australia
  • Covid-19
  • South Africa
  • Sydney

Related News

  • Gill eyes WTC final berth as India begin Sri Lanka Test challenge

    Gill eyes WTC final berth as India begin Sri Lanka Test challenge

  • Tanzid Hasan becomes first Bangladesh batter to hit Test ton against Australia

    Tanzid Hasan becomes first Bangladesh batter to hit Test ton against Australia

  • I am very sorry: Mohanlal apologises for missing Sydney event over visa

    I am very sorry: Mohanlal apologises for missing Sydney event over visa

  • Australia’s H5N1 bird flu cases cross 200-mark

    Australia’s H5N1 bird flu cases cross 200-mark

Latest News

  • TGSRTC launches new electric AC bus service from Pragathi Nagar to Waverock

    2 seconds ago
  • Knight Chess Academy to host Independence Day Chess Cup 2026

    3 minutes ago
  • Four UTT National Ranking TT titles decided in Kanpur

    6 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad sees seasonal surge in viral fevers, flu-like illnesses amid wet weather

    10 minutes ago
  • Mohan Bhagwat inaugurates RSS coordination meeting in Visakhapatnam

    10 minutes ago
  • Tamil Nadu MLAs to get government vehicles, Rs one lakh allowance

    14 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad drug case: Three alleged peddlers arrested, 16 consumers detained

    16 minutes ago
  • Supreme Court seeks steps taken to reform NTA

    17 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam