Centre tells Supreme Court 49 Indians died in Russia-Ukraine conflict
The Centre informed the Supreme Court that 217 Indians had reportedly joined the Russian armed forces during the Russia-Ukraine conflict, with 49 losing their lives. The government said 139 Indians had been released and efforts were continuing to trace missing individuals and secure repatriation
Published Date - 22 May 2026, 08:26 PM
New Delhi: The Centre on Friday told the Supreme Court that 217 Indian nationals had reportedly joined the Russian armed forces amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war, and 49 had lost their lives in the conflict.
In a status report filed before the apex court, the Centre said that pursuant to sustained diplomatic engagement undertaken by the Government of India with the Russian Federation, 139 Indian nationals had already been released from the contracts they signed to join the Russian Army.
“Further, 49 Indian nationals are reported to have lost their lives in the conflict. Additionally, six Indian nationals have been confirmed missing by the Russian side, whereas the status of 23 individuals remains unknown and continues to be under active follow-up by the Embassy of India in Moscow with the Russian authorities,” the report said.
The status report was filed in a plea before the top court seeking directions to the Centre to take steps to facilitate the safe repatriation of 26 Indian citizens who have allegedly been detained in Russia and forced to fight in the ongoing war with Ukraine.
“It is submitted that as per the latest information available with the Ministry of External Affairs, approximately 217 Indian nationals had reportedly joined the Russian armed forces,” the status report said.
On Friday, the plea came up for hearing before a bench of Surya Kant and justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M Pancholi.
Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati, appearing for the Centre, referred to the status report.
The report said that in order to facilitate tracing of missing individuals and identification of mortal remains, DNA reports of the immediate family members of 21 individuals had been collected and transmitted to the Russian authorities with active facilitation by the Government of India.
It said all such cases were being dealt with on utmost priority and were under continuous follow-up with the Russian authorities for resolution, while simultaneously keeping affected families informed about the developments.
The report said that with respect to the 26 individuals referred to in the plea, as per the present status available with the authorities, 14 cases pertained to reported deaths.
It said 11 of them had been notified by the Russian authorities as “missing in action” or were presently not in contact with their families.
It said one case pertained to imprisonment for eight years on molestation charges.
“It is submitted that immediately upon receipt of information regarding any Indian national joining the Russian Army, the Embassy has consistently taken up such matters with the Russian authorities to ensure safety, and secure early release and repatriation of the concerned individuals,” the Centre said.
It said the embassy had also facilitated transportation of mortal remains in eight cases with the consent of the concerned families, and necessary procedures were currently underway in relation to the mortal remains of one individual.
“In all such cases, expenditure has been borne from the Indian Community Welfare Fund,” it said.
“It appears that certain Indian nationals voluntarily signed contracts to join the Russian Army after being lured by attractive salary packages that included an upfront signing bonus of around USD 5,000 and a monthly salary of about USD 2,500, in addition to the promise of Russian citizenship, other social benefits, and compensation of about USD 1,68,000 in case of death,” the report said.
It said that since February 2024, the Government of India had repeatedly issued advisories cautioning Indian nationals against involvement in the Russia-Ukraine conflict and advising them to exercise due caution while seeking employment opportunities in Russia.
The Centre said that in cases involving Indian nationals who were actually detained by Russian authorities, Embassy officials regularly paid consular visits to meet those under detention and serving prison sentences to ascertain their well-being.
It said citizens of several other countries were also understood to have joined the Russian Army in substantial numbers.
“It is further submitted that the Government of India has also initiated measures against illegal recruitment networks and trafficking entities involved in inducing Indian nationals to travel to Russia on false promises of lucrative employment,” it said.
The Centre said the authorities had been continuously undertaking all possible diplomatic, consular and humanitarian measures within the framework of international law and bilateral engagement for the protection and assistance of affected Indian nationals and their families.
“The Government of India remains actively engaged with the Russian authorities for tracing missing individuals, securing their release and repatriation, and resolving all pending reported cases,” it said.
During the hearing, the counsel appearing for the petitioners raised the issue of compensation for the affected families.
The bench posted the matter for further consideration.
The petitioners had earlier alleged that their relatives were lured to Russia under the pretext of lucrative job opportunities, only to have their passports confiscated and be coerced into combat.
The plea has sought directions to the Centre to take immediate diplomatic and consular measures through the Indian embassy in Russia to ascertain the whereabouts, legal status and safety of the detained Indian citizens.