Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Julian Assange Loses Latest Bid To Stop Extradition To The Us On Spying Charges

Julian Assange loses latest bid to stop extradition to the US on spying charges

British judge has rejected the latest attempt by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to fight extradition to the United States to face spying charges

By AP
Published Date - 9 June 2023, 07:10 PM
Julian Assange loses latest bid to stop extradition to the US on spying charges
File Photo
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

London: A British judge has rejected the latest attempt by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to fight extradition to the United States to face spying charges.

High Court justice Jonathan Swift said a new appeal would simply “re-run” arguments that Assange’s lawyers had already made and lost.

Also Read

  • UK to host first global summit on AI safety, led by PM Rishi Sunak

Assange has battled in British courts for years to avoid being sent to the US, where he faces 17 charges of espionage and one charge of computer misuse over WikiLeaks’ publication of classified diplomatic and military documents more than a decade ago.

In 2021, a British district judge ruled that Assange should not be extradited because he was likely to kill himself if held under harsh US prison conditions. US authorities later provided assurances that the Australia-born Assange wouldn’t face the severe treatment that his lawyers said would put his physical and mental health at risk.

Those assurances led Britain’s High Court and Supreme Court to overturn the lower court’s ruling, and the British government authorized extradition in June 2022.

Assange is seeking to halt extradition by obtaining a new court hearing on parts of his case that were dismissed by the first judge.

But in a ruling made public on Friday, Swift said all eight parts of Assange’s potential appeal were not “arguable” and should not be heard.

“The proposed appeal comes to no more than an attempt to re-run the extensive arguments made to and rejected by the district judge,” he said.

Assange’s wife, Stella Assange, said the WikiLeaks founder would make a new appeal attempt at a High Court hearing on Tuesday. He has almost exhausted his avenues of appeal in the UK but could still try to take his case to the European Court of Human Rights.

“We remain optimistic that we will prevail and that Julian will not be extradited to the United States, where he faces charges that could result in him spending the rest of his life in a maximum-security prison for publishing true information that revealed war crimes committed by the US government,” Stella Assange said on Twitter.

Assange’s supporters and lawyers maintain he was acting as a journalist and is entitled to First Amendment protections of freedom of speech. They argue that the case is politically motivated, that he would face inhumane treatment and be unable to get a fair trial in the US.

Assange, 51, remains in London’s high-security Belmarsh Prison, where he has been since he was arrested in 2019 for skipping bail during a separate legal battle. Before that, he spent seven years inside the Ecuadorian Embassy in London to avoid extradition to Sweden to face allegations of rape and sexual assault.

Sweden dropped the sex crimes investigations in November 2019 because so much time had elapsed, but British judges have kept Assange in prison pending the outcome of the US extradition case.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Julian Assange
  • London
  • US

Related News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

  • Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

    Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

  • Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

    Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

  • US military launches new airstrikes to ‘swiftly punish’ Iran for deaths of US troops

    US military launches new airstrikes to ‘swiftly punish’ Iran for deaths of US troops

Latest News

  • Markets open flat as crude nears 92 USD, bond yields rise

    16 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad Traffic Police book 1,349 cases in week-long drive

    26 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad: 21-year-old beaten to death by friends after drinking session

    28 minutes ago
  • Shriya Saran’s daughter hides from paparazzi outside Mumbai temple

    33 minutes ago
  • Cartoon Today on Aug 19, 2026

    37 minutes ago
  • Harish Rao placed under house arrest ahead of Sanathnagar TIMS visit

    38 minutes ago
  • Rupee rises 1 paisa to 95.73 against US dollar as RBI intervention supports currency

    49 minutes ago
  • Mega158 first half edit locked after 40 days of shooting, interval fight promises high point

    55 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam