Revanth claims ony 20 per cent of paddy to be procured
Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy said 80 per cent of paddy procurement had been completed and accused BRS leaders of disrupting the process. He also criticised the opposition over farmers' issues and defended the government's handling of a POCSO case
Published Date - 21 May 2026, 04:32 PM
Hyderabad: Even as farmers are staging protests and burning paddy sacks over the inordinate delay in procurement, Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy claimed that the government had procured 80 per cent of the paddy and that only 20 per cent remained to be procured. He maintained that nearly 45 lakh metric tonnes had been procured and that only 20 per cent of the procurement was pending. The remaining stocks would also be procured, he said.
Addressing a press conference here on Thursday, the Chief Minister also charged that a few rice mill managements had colluded with the opposition party BRS. After stocks were sent from procurement centres to the mills, a few BRS leaders did not allow the unloading of stocks, he alleged. “As the trucks were held up at the mills, there was a shortage of trucks for shifting the stocks from other procurement centres,” Revanth Reddy said.
He found fault with the main opposition BRS for failing to support the farmers. The farming community had suffered losses due to unseasonal rains. Rather than supporting the farmers, the BRS leaders were taking selfies at the damaged stocks, he charged.
“A few farmers lost their lives. The BRS has heavy funds and it should have offered Rs. 2 lakh or Rs. 5 lakh as financial assistance to farmers. After taking photos with the families of deceased farmers, the BRS leaders are politicising the issue,” Revanth Reddy alleged, charging that the BRS leaders were behaving without any humanity.
Drawing a comparison between the past and current procurement process, the Chief Minister maintained that the Civil Supplies Corporation used to deposit money into farmers’ accounts after six months. Now, the State government was depositing the money within 72 hours, he stressed.
Admitting that there was a shortage of hamalis (labourers), the Chief Minister said hamalis from Bengal were working at the procurement centres. Due to elections in Bengal, a few people had gone back to their State, resulting in a shortage of personnel, he said.
“There are a few issues and we are concerned. The government is trying to expedite things and the opposition should give some suggestions. They should be ashamed of politicising farmers’ deaths,” Revanth Reddy said.
Regarding the POCSO case, the Chief Minister dismissed claims that the accused had surrendered before the police.
“Our police arrested him. In case he had surrendered, the family would have handed over the accused to the police. Is APPA Junction your home or my home? Bandi Bagareeth was caught by the police when they were checking vehicles at APPA Junction,” Revanth Reddy asserted.
“Should I believe the police version or politicians’ statements?” he asked.
Whether the father and son had stayed together when the accused was absconding for five days was not important, he said. The police analysed all aspects and registered a case within 24 hours. The government initiated action as per procedures, he explained.
“Neither the court nor the people have found fault with the government’s action. KTR worked as a judge and RS Praveen Kumar as IO. He investigated the case and delivered judgment,” Revanth Reddy claimed.
In a POCSO case, details cannot be shared. They also shared the victim’s photo and her parents’ pictures, he said, asking: “Is KTR a human being? He is behaving like a sadist by politicising the issue.”