Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Tehran Targets Bahrain And Kuwait After Us Strikes And Limits Irans Oil Sales Over Ship Attacks

Tehran targets Bahrain and Kuwait after US strikes and limits Iran’s oil sales over ship attacks

US forces struck Iranian military targets after accusing Tehran of attacking three ships in the Strait of Hormuz, while revoking Iran's oil sales license. Iran retaliated by targeting Bahrain and Kuwait, escalating regional tensions and casting doubt on fragile ceasefire negotiations

By AP
Published Date - 8 July 2026, 11:22 AM
Tehran targets Bahrain and Kuwait after US strikes and limits Iran’s oil sales over ship attacks
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Dubai: The US military attacked Iran early Wednesday after it said Tehran struck three ships in the Strait of Hormuz, part of an American effort that also revoked the Islamic Republic’s ability to openly sell crude oil in the world market. Iran retaliated with strikes targeting Bahrain and Kuwait.

The regional crossfire raised the risks that an interim agreement to halt fighting in the war could break down, putting the Middle East again at risk of a wider conflict. However, the fire followed a pattern of similar attacks during the deal’s shaky ceasefire and neither country immediately signaled they’d step away from the negotiating table.


The attacks on shipping and the resulting strikes came during the dayslong funeral for Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed Feb. 28 in the war’s first moments at age 86. The funeral, which ends Thursday, had been thought to be a period of lower tensions – though mourners have repeatedly called for the killings of US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Negotiations to reach a final deal had been due to start after Khamenei’s burial and focus on the toughest matters, including fully reopening the strait and rolling back Tehran’s disputed nuclear program. But the new attacks threw that into question.

“The era of bullying and extortion is over,” Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf wrote on X. “It leads nowhere. We don’t fold.” Overnight US strikes target Iran

The US military’s Central Command said American forces launched the strikes “to impose heavy costs for targeting and attacking commercial shipping crewed by innocent civilians in an international waterway.” It said it hit Iranian targets including air defense systems, radars and over 60 small boats used by Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard. Those boats have been key in harassing ships in the strait.

The US military remains “postured and prepared to hold Iran accountable when the agreement is not adhered to or obeyed,” it added, saying this round of attacks had ended.

Iran acknowledged the strikes, but offered no word on any losses. Iranian state media reported the sound of explosions in Bandar Abbas, Qeshm and Sirik.

Wednesday morning, both Bahrain, home to the US Navy’s 5th Fleet, and Kuwait, home to US Army forces, sounded missile alerts. The Guard issued a statement acknowledging targeting US military installations in both countries.

“The child-killing and terrorist US army … openly violated the ceasefire and violated the Islamabad understanding by launching an airstrike on a number of coastal bases and civilian stations on the coasts of Hormozgan and Mahshahr provinces,” it said, without addressing the attacks on ships in the strait.

Bahrain sounded its alert a second time later Wednesday morning.

A similar spate of Iranian attacks on shipping and US retaliatory strikes occurred late last month – which similarly drew Iranian attacks on Bahrain and Kuwait. Wednesday’s strikes also came as Trump was in Turkey for a summit of the NATO military alliance.

US revokes license for the sale of Iranian oil

The US also revoked a license that authorized the sale of Iranian oil as part of the interim deal. That had allowed Iran for the first time in years to conduct oil sales openly on the international market for US dollars. Iran long had been suspected of selling sanctioned crude oil at below-market prices to China.

The decision came after the strikes on shipping. One tanker was traveling off the coast of Oman when it was hit and caught fire, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations center said. Iranian state television said the liquefied natural gas tanker came under attack after ignoring warnings but did not directly claim the assault.

The other two ships sustained some damage, but no one was injured, and both continued on their way in the Strait of Hormuz, the U.K. maritime agency said. Iran has maintained a chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz since the war, disrupting global energy markets as a fifth of all traded oil and natural gas passed through the channel in peacetime. The ships attacked Tuesday all appeared to be using a route close to Oman’s shore, rather than one ordered by Tehran.

Tehran repeatedly has declared that only its approved route through the strait is safe and is suspected of attacking other ships that have used the Oman route.

Majed al-Ansari, a spokesperson for the Qatari Foreign Ministry, said the Qatari tanker Al Rekayyat was targeted in an “unacceptable attack” on international navigation and global energy security. He said Qatar, which has been a key mediator alongside Pakistan in the talks, holds Iran “fully legally responsible.” Iran and the United States agreed as part of the interim deal to allow ships to pass without paying charges for 60 days. But Tehran insisted it must control the vessels’ routes and later charge fees for passage, which would upend decades of practice in the waterway.

The US and many Gulf Arab states say they will not agree to Iran charging for passage through the strait.

Mourners attend Khamenei funeral services in Iraq

Funeral ceremonies for Khamenei began Wednesday in the Iraqi city of Najaf. Attending the services are Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and other Iranian as well as Iraqi officials including Prime Minister Ali Falah al-Zaidi. There will be funeral prayers later at the Imam Hussein shrine in Karbala as well.

Khamenei’s son, Iran’s new Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, has yet to make an appearance at the ceremonies, which began Saturday in Tehran. He is believed to be in hiding after reportedly being wounded in the airstrike that killed his father.

Khamenei will then be returned to Iran to be buried Thursday at the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad, his birthplace.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Bahrain
  • Iran strikes
  • Strait of Hormuz
  • US airstrikes

Related News

  • Iran, Oman agree on Strait of Hormuz shipping routes

    Iran, Oman agree on Strait of Hormuz shipping routes

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

  • Sensex, Nifty end lower as oil prices rise amid Hormuz uncertainty

    Sensex, Nifty end lower as oil prices rise amid Hormuz uncertainty

  • Two UAE oil vessels attacked in Strait of Hormuz

    Two UAE oil vessels attacked in Strait of Hormuz

Latest News

  • KTR condemns removal of Peddi Sudarshan Reddy’s statue, calls it barbaric

    5 seconds ago
  • Satyendar Jain arrested at BJP’s behest, case will be proved fake: Kejriwal

    5 minutes ago
  • Telangana Employees Plan Protests on August 27, Mahadharna on September 10

    14 minutes ago
  • Former Delhi minister Satyendar Jain, ex-DJB CEO among six arrested in alleged tender scam

    19 minutes ago
  • Farmers stages protest over unscheduled power cuts in Jogipet

    29 minutes ago
  • Flight attendants, pilots face highest risk of radiation-related cancer deaths: Study

    37 minutes ago
  • Polytechnic students oppose merger of polytechnic education with Skill University

    43 minutes ago
  • CJP alleges venue owners faced threats, Kolkata meeting cancelled

    52 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam