Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Us Rejects Putins Proposal On New Start Extension

US rejects Putin’s proposal on New START extension

The Russian chief arms control negotiator also noted that Russia would refuse any agreement on the New START that was timed to coincide with the US presidential election.

By IANS
Published Date - 17 October 2020, 10:30 AM
US rejects Putin’s proposal on New START extension
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with the members of the Security Council via teleconference call, in Moscow. (Photo: AFP)
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington D.C: The White House rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin’s proposal earlier in the day to extend the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) for at least one year without conditions.

“President Putin’s response today to extend New START without freezing nuclear warheads is a non-starter,” US President Donald Trump’s National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien said on Twitter on Friday, Xinhua news agency reported.


O’Brien reiterated the US proposal of an extension of New START for one year, during which both countries cap all nuclear warheads, referring to both strategic and tactical ones.

“We hope that Russia will reevaluate its position before a costly arms race ensues,” he added.
Earlier in the day, Putin proposed to extend the New START without conditions for at least a year for further negotiations.

(3/3) The United States is serious about arms control that will keep the entire world safe. We hope that Russia will reevaluate its position before a costly arms race ensues.” –NSA Robert C. O’Brien

— NSC (@WHNSC) October 16, 2020

“I have a proposal, namely, to extend the current Treaty without any conditions for at least a year in order to be able to conduct meaningful negotiations on all issues that are governed by agreements of this kind,” Putin said at a meeting with permanent members of the country’s Security Council.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov earlier this week rebuffed Washington’s position on freezing nuclear arsenals. “The US position in favour of freezing has long been known to us, it is unacceptable to us.”

The Russian chief arms control negotiator also noted that Russia would refuse any agreement on the New START that was timed to coincide with the US presidential election.

In 2010, Washington and Moscow signed the New START, which stipulates the limits to the numbers of deployed strategic nuclear warheads and delivery systems by both. This last remaining nuclear arms control treaty in force between the two nuclear superpowers will expire on February 5, 2021.

The treaty can be extended for at most five years with the consent of the two countries. Without an extension, the US and Russian nuclear arsenals would be unchecked for the first time since 1972.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • arms race
  • conditions
  • Donald Trump
  • Friday

Related News

  • Tech leaders rally behind Trump’s crypto push

    Tech leaders rally behind Trump’s crypto push

  • Russian missile barrage kills at least 6 in Kyiv, injures 33

    Russian missile barrage kills at least 6 in Kyiv, injures 33

  • Trump warns Iran of ‘very Draconian sanctions’

    Trump warns Iran of ‘very Draconian sanctions’

  • Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

    Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    3 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    3 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    3 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    4 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    4 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    5 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    5 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    5 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam