Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Will Apple Google Take Off Tiktok On Januray 19

Will Apple, Google take off TikTok on Januray 19?

With President-elect Donald Trump adding uncertainty around whether a TikTok ban will go into effect, the focus is now turning to companies like Google and Apple that are expected to take the popular video sharing app off their platforms in just two days

By PTI
Published Date - 18 January 2025, 09:19 AM
Will Apple, Google take off TikTok on Januray 19?
Representational image.
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington: With President-elect Donald Trump adding uncertainty around whether a TikTok ban will go into effect, the focus is now turning to companies like Google and Apple that are expected to take the popular video sharing app off their platforms in just two days.

Though the Supreme Court on Friday unanimously upheld a federal law that could ban TikTok nationwide, it’s unclear how a shutdown of the popular social media platform will play out and what Americans will see when the clock strikes midnight on Sunday.


The court decision comes against a backdrop of unusual political agitation by Trump, who vowed that he could negotiate a solution after he takes office, and the administration of President Joe Biden, which has signaled it won’t enforce the law beginning on Sunday, his final full day in office. Now, tech observers — and some users — are intently watching to see what happens over the weekend and beyond. “We’re really in uncharted territory here in terms of tech policy,” said Sarak Kreps, the director of Cornell University’s Tech Policy Institute.

Under the law, mobile app stores — like the ones operated by Apple and Google — and internet hosting services will face major fines if they continue to distribute the platform to US users beyond the deadline for divestment from ByteDance, TikTok’s China-based parent company. The companies could pay up to $5,000 for each user who continues to access TikTok, meaning penalties could total to a large sum.

A lawyer representing TikTok told Supreme Court justices last week that the platform will “go dark” on Jan 19 if the law isn’t struck down. But TikTok, which is not required to block its own platform under the statute, has not said whether it will limit access to the app, or its website, on Sunday. Experts have noted TikTok’s app should remain available for current users, but existing ones will no longer be able to update it, making it unusable in the long term.

Trump’s national security adviser has signaled this week that the incoming administration may take steps to “keep TikTok from going dark,” though what that looks like — and if any of those steps can withhold legal scrutiny — remains unclear. “My decision on TikTok will be made in the not-too-distant future, but I must have time to review the situation,” Trump said Friday in a post on Truth Social after the court’s ruling. Earlier in the day, he said in another post that TikTok was among the topics in his conversation with Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Apple
  • Donad Trump
  • federal law
  • Google

Related News

  • Andhra govt allays fears over data centres affecting water supply to Vizag

    Andhra govt allays fears over data centres affecting water supply to Vizag

  • Trump administration asks US Supreme Court to allow White House ballroom work

    Trump administration asks US Supreme Court to allow White House ballroom work

  • Trump to approach US Supreme Court over White House complex

    Trump to approach US Supreme Court over White House complex

  • Apple set to outperform smartphone industry, say experts

    Apple set to outperform smartphone industry, say experts

Latest News

  • Indian national declared bankrupt in Singapore over unpaid wages

    29 minutes ago
  • Amit Shah to attend SSB, border security programmes in Siliguri

    48 minutes ago
  • Aisha Wahab becomes first Afghan-American elected to US Congress

    1 hour ago
  • Charter plane carrying eight crashes in western Alaska

    1 hour ago
  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    8 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    9 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    9 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    10 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam