Thursday, May 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Sport | With 90m Monkey Off His Back Neeraj Says Aiming To Throw Farther Now

With 90m monkey off his back, Neeraj says aiming to throw farther now

 Relieved, happy but a touch disappointed too, Indian javelin throw star Neeraj Chopra said now that he is done breaching the 90m mark, he would be striving to go farther as his body is more or less free of the niggles that plagued him in the past few years

By PTI
Published Date - 17 May 2025, 09:42 PM
With 90m monkey off his back, Neeraj says aiming to throw farther now
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Doha: Relieved, happy but a touch disappointed too, Indian javelin throw star Neeraj Chopra said now that he is done breaching the 90m mark, he would be striving to go farther as his body is more or less free of the niggles that plagued him in the past few years.

The 27-year-old two-time Olympic medallist sent his spear to 90.23m in the Diamond League season opener here on Friday but finished second overall after Germany’s Julian Weber took the top spot with a 91.06m effort in his final throw.


“I am very happy with the 90m mark, but it’s a little bit of a bittersweet experience actually. But never mind, I and my coach (the legendary Jan Zelezny) are still working on some aspects of my throw.

“We started working together only in February this year. I am still learning things,” Chopra said after the event.

Zelezny, who holds the world record for the longest throw (98.48m), doesn’t normally attend Diamond Leagues but the Czech came with Chopra last night because he felt “today is the day to achieve 90m.”

“I was always feeling something in my groin in the last few years. I did not give my best because of that. This year I feel much better, we will also work on some aspects and so I believe I can throw more than 90m in the upcoming events this year till the World Championships,” Chopra said.

The Haryana lad will enter the September 13 to 21 world championship in Tokyo as the defending gold-medallist in his event. The throw here would do a world of good to his confidence.

It was his third attempt of the night and one that made him only the third Asian and 25th overall to cross the coveted mark, that was eluding him for the last five years.

The Zelezny effect on him would be hard to ignore. He was roped in as Chopra’s coach in November last year but they started working together only in February this year.

“I am very happy that Jan Zelezny is my coach and we worked very hard in South Africa. We are still working on some aspects,” he said.

Asked about his next goal, Chopra offered a cheeky response.

“My next goal remains 90m,” he said.

On a more serious note, the affable superstar said he is confident of bettering what was a career-best effort last night.

“I believe I am ready to throw farther. It’s just the beginning of a long season,” he said.

Dwelling on what made the landmark throw possible on a windy night, Chopra said the conditions worked in his favour.

“When I was having warm-up throws, my coach said, ‘today is the day when I can throw 90m’. After my 90m throw also, he told me I can throw 2-3m farther,” he said.

“The wind helps for sure, and the weather is a little war,m and that helps. It’s the first competition of the year, so everyone came with a fresh mindset after a long time and had the hunger inside for the throwing part (sic),” he added.

As always, Chopra exhibited exemplary grace despite his disappointment at missing the top spot. He applauded Weber for his performance and said they help each other push the boundaries.

“I also told Julian (Weber) that we can throw 90m. I am also happy for him. We have tried very hard for 90m for so many years, and so we are happy.

“It’s like a good push between us and in the next competition we will push each other again and will throw farther,” he said.

But Chopra did rue the fact that he had finished second whenever he had breached the national record.

“It had happened earlier also. When I threw an NR with over 89m in Turku, I finished second (sic). In Stockholm DL, when I threw 89.94m, I was second again, so also here,” Chopra said.

Weber is happy for Neeraj

Weber, on his part, said he did not do anything extra but had a feeling that he could breach the 90m mark here.

It was Weber’s first 90-plus effort as well, and he became the 26th javelin thrower to breach the coveted mark. His effort was the world-leading mark this season so far.

“I did not know how it happened. I had a very good massage thanks to my physiotherapist. It was fun today. Neeraj threw his first 90m plus, and I went past the mark in my last throw, and that was just perfect.

“I was very happy for him. We have been fighting for the 90m throw for a long time, and we both achieved that today. So, it was very special for us.”

Two-time world champion and Paris Olympics bronze-medallist Anderson Peters of Grenada was third with his opening throw of 84.65m.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • 26th javelin thrower
  • Anderson Peters
  • Diamond League
  • Doha

Related News

  • India appoints world champion Dave Cousins as compound archery chief coach

    India appoints world champion Dave Cousins as compound archery chief coach

  • India drop to sixth in WTC standings after Bangladesh sweep Pakistan

    India drop to sixth in WTC standings after Bangladesh sweep Pakistan

  • India U-17 men draw 1-1 with Qatar in friendly ahead of Asian Cup

    India U-17 men draw 1-1 with Qatar in friendly ahead of Asian Cup

  • Lucknow Super Giants rope in George Linde as Hasaranga replacement

    Lucknow Super Giants rope in George Linde as Hasaranga replacement

Latest News

  • UoH cautions students of strict action over misconduct

    10 mins ago
  • Pulwama attack mastermind Burhan Hamza shot dead in PoK

    19 mins ago
  • Jawahar Nagar dumping yard issue dominates MMC all‑party meet in Hyderabad

    21 mins ago
  • Rajiv Gandhi promised to make me CM, claims Hanumanth Rao

    29 mins ago
  • Suvendu Adhikari announces ‘detect, delete and deport’ policy in Bengal

    42 mins ago
  • KTR backs citizens opposing tree felling around KBR park

    46 mins ago
  • Khammam, Warangal reel under intense heatwave; markets deserted

    47 mins ago
  • SCCL’s first BESS project delivers encouraging results in Telangana

    51 mins ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam