Monday, Aug 17, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Congo Says Ebola Outbreak Still At Early Stage But Cases Rising

Congo says Ebola outbreak still at early stage but cases rising

DR Congo faces an early-stage Ebola outbreak with 101 confirmed cases and up to 220 suspected deaths. Caused by the Bundibugyo strain, authorities plan a 4–6 month response using surveillance, isolation, and safe burials amid rising infections

By IANS
Published Date - 27 May 2026, 09:16 AM
Congo says Ebola outbreak still at early stage but cases rising
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Kinshasa: The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) remains at an early stage, but infections and deaths continue to rise, Health Minister Roger Kamba said. Health authorities have identified around 1,000 suspected cases in affected areas, of which 101 have tested positive, Kamba told a press conference.

Preliminary figures show that about 200 to 220 deaths are believed to be linked to the outbreak, while 17 deaths have been confirmed through laboratory testing. “We are still at the beginning of an epidemic,” Kamba said, adding that the duration of the current growth phase would depend on the effectiveness of response efforts.


The minister said authorities are planning a response operation expected to last four to six months. The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which Kamba described as less lethal than the Zaire strain but still dangerous if infections continue to rise.

There is currently no approved vaccine or specific treatment for Bundibugyo Ebola. To contain transmission, authorities are relying on surveillance, testing, isolation, contact tracing, community engagement and safe burials, he said.

On Saturday, the government suspended civilian passenger flights to and from Bunia, the capital of Ituri Province and the epicentre of the outbreak, while humanitarian flights remain in operation, Xinhua news agency reported.

Kamba said the virus may have been circulating before the outbreak was officially declared on May 15, citing Ebola’s incubation period of up to 21 days. He added that health authorities have yet to identify the outbreak’s “patient zero.”

Earlier on May 26, the World Health Organization (WHO) had said that a confirmed case of Ebola virus disease is recovering in Goma, an eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) city, with work underway to strengthen the response against the outbreak. Anne Ancia, WHO’s acting representative in the DRC had made the remarks during a visit to Goma, currently under the control of the March 23 Movement rebel group.

The confirmed patient is receiving treatment at a local hospital with “very positive” condition, while contacts are being “monitored regularly,” Ancia had said.

She had noted that current discussions focused on the city’s health situation and measures to reinforce surveillance, case management, contact tracing and community engagement in response to the Ebola outbreak caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Bundibugyo strain
  • DR Congo
  • Ebola outbreak
  • suspected cases

Related News

  • Congo’s Ebola outbreak began months before official declaration: WHO

    Congo’s Ebola outbreak began months before official declaration: WHO

  • WHO classifies three widely used medicines, including a common BP drug, as Group 1 carcinogens

    WHO classifies three widely used medicines, including a common BP drug, as Group 1 carcinogens

  • Congo reports 930 Ebola deaths amid worsening outbreak

    Congo reports 930 Ebola deaths amid worsening outbreak

  • 651 Indian Army peacekeepers receive UN medals for service in DR Congo

    651 Indian Army peacekeepers receive UN medals for service in DR Congo

Latest News

  • Anupam Kher recalls writing on Robert De Niro’s films while wishing him on birthday

    2 minutes ago
  • India is world’s second-largest fish producer, contributes 8 per cent to global output

    5 minutes ago
  • Telugu Christian Community celebrated Independence Day in Dubai

    20 minutes ago
  • Chinna Reddy takes aim at Congress over turncoats, recalls Jeevan Reddy

    25 minutes ago
  • Cristiano Ronaldo hints at retirement after Saudi Pro League season

    27 minutes ago
  • Rupee likely to weaken to Rs 99 per dollar by FY28-end amid global risks: BMI

    53 minutes ago
  • Youth cheats a young woman on the pretext of marriage, assaults her sexually

    60 minutes ago
  • Jagan slams Naidu over suspension of five teachers seeking TET exemption

    49 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam