Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Argentina Follows Trump Withdraws From Who

Argentina follows Trump, withdraws from WHO

President Javier Milei's decision is said to be based on "profound differences" with WHO in health management, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic

By AP
Published Date - 6 February 2025, 08:58 AM
Argentina follows Trump, withdraws from WHO
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Buenos Aires: Argentina’s President has ordered the country’s withdrawal from the World Health Organization due to “profound differences” with the UN agency, a presidential spokesperson said Wednesday.

President Javier Milei ‘s decision echoes that of his ally, US President Donald Trump, who began the process of pulling the United States out of WHO with an executive order on his first day back in office on January 21.

Also Read

  • Amid economic crisis, Copa America triumph brings respite for Argentina fans

The loss of another member country will further fracture cooperation in global health, though Argentina was expected to provide only about USD 8 million to WHO for the agency’s estimated $6.9 billion 2024-2025 budget.

Argentina’s decision is based on “profound differences in health management, especially during the (COVID-19) pandemic,” spokesperson Manuel Adorni told a news conference in Buenos Aires. He said WHO guidelines at the time led to the largest shutdown “in the history of mankind.” Argentina will not allow an international organisation to intervene in its sovereignty “and much less in our health,” he added.

WHO has no authority to compel countries to take specific health actions, and the organisation’s guidelines and recommendations, including in health crises like COVID-19, are often disregarded.

WHO said it was looking into Argentina’s announcement.

Adorni did not say when Milei’s decision would be implemented. He also asserted that WHO lacks independence because of the political influence of some countries, without naming any.

WHO is the only organization mandated to coordinate global responses to acute health crises, particularly outbreaks of new diseases and persistent threats including Ebola, AIDS and mpox.

Milei was a sharp critic of the lockdown imposed by former President Alberto Fernandez during the pandemic, asserting that it hurt the economy and that the government used it as a mechanism of “repression.” “LONG LIVE FREEDOM,” Milei said Wednesday in a post on X criticizing the UN agency.

Argentina does not receive WHO funding for health management, and the President’s decision doesn’t affect the quality of health services, Adorni said.

“On the contrary, it gives greater flexibility to implement policies adopted to the context of interests that Argentina requires,” he added.

Last year, Milei’s government refused to sign an agreement to manage pandemics within the WHO framework, on the grounds that doing so could affect national sovereignty.

The announcement on the WHO comes ahead of Milei’s trip to the US later this month that will coincide with the Conservative Political Action Conference summit of right-wing leaders in Washington. The spokesperson has not confirmed that Milei will attend or that he might meet Trump.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Argentina
  • Covid 19
  • Health Services
  • Javier Milei

Related News

  • Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest on record, kills over 2,300

    Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest on record, kills over 2,300

  • Trump claims historic fall in US violent crime

    Trump claims historic fall in US violent crime

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

  • Trump administration asks US Supreme Court to allow White House ballroom work

    Trump administration asks US Supreme Court to allow White House ballroom work

Latest News

  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    24 minutes ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    1 hour ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    47 minutes ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    49 minutes ago
  • Karimnagar athlete Naga Chaitra qualifies for CBSE Nationals with gold, silver

    51 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad District Athletic Association to conduct athletics selection trials on August 22

    57 minutes ago
  • EFLU suspends 14 students after NSUI-ABVP clash in Hyderabad

    2 hours ago
  • Army Public School Bolarum students win TCS InQuizitive 2026 Hyderabad edition

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam