Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Sheikh Hasina Sentenced To Death Over Crimes Against Humanity Charges

Sheikh Hasina sentenced to death over crimes against humanity charges

Bangladesh’s International Crimes Tribunal sentenced former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to death for crimes against humanity linked to July demonstrations. Her aides were also convicted, with heightened security and arrests reported in Dhaka amid strikes and rising political unrest

By IANS
Published Date - 17 November 2025, 02:37 PM
Sheikh Hasina sentenced to death over crimes against humanity charges
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Dhaka: Bangladesh’s International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) on Monday pronounced a death sentence for former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina after it found her guilty on the charges of crimes against humanity related to the demonstrations in July of last year.

The court also convicted Hasina and her two top aides, former Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal and former Inspector General of Police, Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun. Mamun has been granted a pardon, but the court said that, given the intensity of the crimes, he will be given a “lenient sentence”.


The ousted leader’s sentencing is awaited as the verdict, consisting of 453 pages, is still being read out.

Till now, Hasina has defied the court’s orders by refusing to return to the South Asian nation to face trial. Asaduzzaman is currently a fugitive, while Mamun is in custody and has pleaded guilty.

Notably, Mamun has become a State witness, making him the first accused to do so since the tribunal was established in 2010. The verdict was being live broadcast by Bangladesh Television (BTV) from the ICT courtroom, where the three-member Tribunal-1, headed by Justice Md Golam Mortuza Majumder, is delivering the judgment.

The formal charge documents consist of 8,747 pages, including references, seized evidence, and a comprehensive list of victims, reports leading Bangladeshi daily, The Dhaka Tribune.

Prosecutors have charged the accused with five counts, including failure to prevent murder, which constitutes crimes against humanity under Bangladeshi law.

They are seeking the death penalty if the defendants are found guilty. Additionally, the prosecutors requested that the tribunal confiscate the assets of the three defendants upon conviction and distribute them to the families of the victims. Hasina, however, has always denied all the charges.

Meanwhile, Dhaka has been placed under unprecedented security clampdown after Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Commissioner Sheikh Md Sajjat Ali on Sunday evening issued a ‘shoot-at-sight order’ targeting individuals engaged in arson attacks, cocktail explosions or attempts to harm police and civilians ahead of the ICT verdict.

The two-day strike organised by Hasina’s Awami League for November 16–17 has coincided with an increase in cocktail explosions and arson incidents throughout the capital.

At least 21 leaders and workers from the Awami League, who are currently prohibited from engaging in political activities, were apprehended during special operations throughout Narayanganj in the last 36 hours, reports leading Bangladeshi newspaper, The Daily Star.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Bangladesh
  • Death Sentence
  • Fugitive
  • International Crimes Tribunal

Related News

  • Honourable reception awaits Bangladesh PM Rahman if he visits India, says envoy

    Honourable reception awaits Bangladesh PM Rahman if he visits India, says envoy

  • India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

    India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

  • Bangladesh does not want ties with India to deteriorate over Teesta: Minister

    Bangladesh does not want ties with India to deteriorate over Teesta: Minister

  • Tanzid Hasan becomes first Bangladesh batter to hit Test ton against Australia

    Tanzid Hasan becomes first Bangladesh batter to hit Test ton against Australia

Latest News

  • BWF chief praises IG Sports Complex transformation ahead of World Championships

    17 minutes ago
  • Tom Hanks in talks for Warner Bros adaptation of ‘Theo of Golden’

    32 minutes ago
  • Recently married man drowns while harvesting lotus flowers in Medak

    35 minutes ago
  • TPCC notice to Konda Surekha triggers differences within Telangana Congress

    40 minutes ago
  • Tamil Nadu wants freeze on Lok Sabha seats to continue

    44 minutes ago
  • Gongidi Sunitha demands Revanth Reddy’s resignation over law and order situation in Telangana

    44 minutes ago
  • KTR backs polytechnic students’ agitation, seeks withdrawal of GO 97

    48 minutes ago
  • Andaman-Nicobar withdraws EoI for green AI data centre in Great Nicobar

    52 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam