Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Trump Has Ordered Airstrikes Against Rebels In Yemen Heres Why

Trump has ordered airstrikes against rebels in Yemen. Here’s why

Threat to global shipping "The Houthi rebels" started attacking military and commercial ships on one of the world’s busiest shipping corridors shortly after the war in Gaza began between Hamas and Israel in October 2023.

By AP
Published Date - 16 March 2025, 10:57 AM
Trump has ordered airstrikes against rebels in Yemen. Here’s why
U.S. President Donald Trump
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

The U.S. President Donald Trump says he has ordered airstrikes against Iran-backed rebels in Yemen, and issued a warning to Tehran. Here’s why.

Threat to global shipping “The Houthi rebels” started attacking military and commercial ships on one of the world’s busiest shipping corridors shortly after the war in Gaza began between Hamas and Israel in October 2023.


The Houthis said they were targeting vessels on the Red Sea with links to Israel or its allies — the United States and the U.K. — in solidarity with Palestinians, but some vessels had little or no link to the war.

The Houthis targeted over 100 merchant vessels with missiles and drones, sinking two vessels and killing four sailors, until the current ceasefire in Gaza took effect in mid-January.

Other missiles and drones were intercepted or failed to reach their targets, which included Western military ones.The attacks paused during the ceasefire, but the Houthis on Wednesday said they would resume against “any Israeli vessel” after Israel cut off all aid supplies to Gaza to pressure Hamas during talks on extending their truce.

The rebels said the warning also affects the Gulf of Aden, the Bab el-Mandeb Strait and the Arabian Sea.No Houthi attacks have been reported since then.“These relentless assaults have cost the U.S. and World Economy many BILLIONS of Dollars while, at the same time, putting innocent lives at risk,” Trump said Saturday while announcing the airstrikes in a social media post.

Threat to the U.S.The earlier Houthi campaign saw U.S. and other Western warships repeatedly targeted, sparking the most serious combat the U.S. Navy had seen since World War II.

The United States under the Biden administration, as well as Israel and Britain, previously struck Houthi-held areas in Yemen. But a U.S. official said Saturday’s operation was conducted solely by the U.S.The USS Harry S. Truman carrier strike group, which includes the carrier, three Navy destroyers and one cruiser, are in the Red Sea and were part of Saturday’s mission.

The USS Georgia cruise missile submarine has also been operating in the region.Trump said the strikes were to “protect American shipping, air, and naval assets, and to restore Navigational Freedom.”The focus on the Houthis and their attacks have raised their profile as they face economic and other pressures at home amid Yemen’s decadelong stalemated war, which has torn apart the Arab world’s poorest nation.

Pressure on IranSaturday’s strikes also were meant to pressure Iran, which has backed the Houthis just as it has supported Hamas and other proxies in the Middle East.

Trump vowed to hold Iran “fully accountable” for the Houthis’ actions.The State Department earlier this month reinstated the “foreign terrorist organization” designation for the Houthis, which carries sanctions and penalties for anyone providing “material support” for the group.

The Trump administration also has been pressing Iran to restart bilateral talks on Iran’s advancing nuclear program, with Trump writing a letter to the country’s supreme leader.

Trump, who unilaterally withdrew America from Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, has said he will not allow the program to become operational.

Trump has also levied new sanctions on Iran as part of his “maximum pressure” campaign against the country and has suggested that military action remains a possibility, while emphasizing he still believes a new nuclear deal can be reached.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Donald Trump
  • International News
  • Palestinian
  • Tehran

Related News

  • Tech leaders rally behind Trump’s crypto push

    Tech leaders rally behind Trump’s crypto push

  • Russian missile barrage kills at least 6 in Kyiv, injures 33

    Russian missile barrage kills at least 6 in Kyiv, injures 33

  • Trump warns Iran of ‘very Draconian sanctions’

    Trump warns Iran of ‘very Draconian sanctions’

  • Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

    Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    2 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    2 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    2 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    3 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    2 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    4 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    3 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    3 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam