Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Bilkis Bano Case Sc To Commence Final Hearing On Aug 7 On Plea Challenging Remission To 11 Convicts

Bilkis Bano case: SC to commence final hearing on Aug 7 on plea challenging remission to 11 convicts

Supreme Court on Monday said that it will commence final hearing on August 7 in clutch of petitions challenging the remission granted to 11 convicts

By IANS
Published Date - 17 July 2023, 08:40 PM
Bilkis Bano case: SC to commence final hearing on Aug 7 on plea challenging remission to 11 convicts
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday said that it will commence final hearing on August 7 in clutch of petitions challenging the remission granted to 11 convicts in the case of gang rape of Bilkis Bano and murder of her family members during the 2002 post-Godhra riots.

A bench of Justices B.V. Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan took note of the fact that all convicts have been duly served and pleadings have been concluded. It granted liberty to the parties to file their replies, written submissions, synopsis, and list of dates, in the meantime. The court has posted the matter for final hearing on August 7.

Also Read

  • ‘Very irritating’, SC to Bilkis Bano counsel on frequent mentioning of plea against convicts
  • Bilkis Bano case: SC dismisses review against May judgment on remission policy

On May 9, the Supreme Court had directed issuance of notice to convicts, in relation with the convicts who could not be served notices.

It had also directed publication of notices in local newspapers, including in Gujarati and English. On May 2, the Centre and Gujarat government had told the Supreme Court that they would not claim privilege over the documents in connection with the remission of sentence of convicts in Bilkis Bano case, and agreed to share the documents with the apex court for its perusal.

The 11 men convicted in the case were released on August 15 last year, after the Gujarat government allowed their release under its remission policy. The convicts had completed 15 years in jail. A batch of the petitions have been filed against the release of 11 convicts, including the one filed by Bilkis Bano.

The other petitions were filed by CPI-M leader Subhashini Ali, Trinamool Congress MP Mahua Moitra, the National Federation of Indian Women, former IPS officer Meeran Chadha Borwankar, Asma Shafique Shaikh and others.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Bilkis Bano
  • Supreme Court

Related News

  • Supreme Court sets up panel to examine police excesses during Delhi student protests

    Supreme Court sets up panel to examine police excesses during Delhi student protests

  • Supreme Court seeks steps taken to reform NTA

    Supreme Court seeks steps taken to reform NTA

  • NEET: SC directs NTA to inform on steps taken to implement recommendations of Radhakrishnan panel

    NEET: SC directs NTA to inform on steps taken to implement recommendations of Radhakrishnan panel

  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

Latest News

  • EFLU suspends 14 students after NSUI-ABVP clash in Hyderabad

    25 minutes ago
  • Army Public School Bolarum students win TCS InQuizitive 2026 Hyderabad edition

    1 hour ago
  • Malkajgiri Municipal Corporation to implement ‘free left’ lanes at six stretches to ease traffic

    1 hour ago
  • Employees oppose blame game over Telangana’s 22-A land list controversy

    26 minutes ago
  • Telangana launches online complaint system for private schools

    2 hours ago
  • Treesa-Gayatri credit home crowd after reaching BWF World Championships quarterfinals

    2 hours ago
  • ACB registers DA case against Ibrahimpatnam revenue official, searches six locations

    56 minutes ago
  • KBR Park traffic loop leaves pedestrians struggling with missing footpaths, crossings

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam