Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Science & Tech | Google To Face Lawsuit Over Tracking Users In Incognito Mode

Google to face lawsuit over tracking users in ‘Incognito’ mode

District Judge Lucy Koh in the state of California ruled that Google "did not notify users that Google engages in the alleged data collection while the user is in private browsing mode", reports Bloomberg.

By IANS
Published Date - 14 March 2021, 11:16 AM
Google to face lawsuit over tracking users in ‘Incognito’ mode
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

San Francisco: In a significant ruling, a judge in the US has directed Google to face a class-action lawsuit seeking $5 billion, that claimed the tech giant is tracking and collecting data even when people use the private ‘Incognito’ mode on its Chrome browser.

District Judge Lucy Koh in the state of California ruled that Google “did not notify users that Google engages in the alleged data collection while the user is in private browsing mode”, reports Bloomberg.


A Google spokesperson told The Verge on Saturday that the company disputes the lawsuit’s claims.

“We will defend ourselves vigorously against them,” the spokesperson was quoted as saying in the report.

Google Chrome’s ‘Incognito’ mode gives users choice to browse the internet without their activities being saved to either browser or devices.

“As we clearly state each time you open a new incognito tab, websites might be able to collect information about your browsing activity during your session,” Google reiterated.

The Chrome users filed a complaint in the US in June last year, claiming that Google has a “pervasive data tracking business”.

They alleged in the lawsuit that the “tracking persists even if users take steps to protect their private information, such as using incognito mode in Chrome, or private browsing in Safari and other browsers”.

On its part, Google has already announced to phase out third-party cookies from Chrome browser.

The company said earlier this month that once third-party cookies are phased out from its platforms, it will not build alternate identifiers to track individuals as they browse across the web, nor will it use them in its products.

Google Chrome had announced its intent to remove support for third-party cookies last year.

Third-party cookies have been blocked in Apple Safari and Mozilla Firefox and Google aims to do the same in Chrome. The cookies allow advertisers to track you as you move between various websites.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Chrome browser
  • Google
  • lawsuit
  • San Francisco

Related News

  • Andhra govt allays fears over data centres affecting water supply to Vizag

    Andhra govt allays fears over data centres affecting water supply to Vizag

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

  • Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

    Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

  • Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

    Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

Latest News

  • Army Public School Bolarum students win TCS InQuizitive 2026 Hyderabad edition

    36 minutes ago
  • Malkajgiri Municipal Corporation to implement ‘free left’ lanes at six stretches to ease traffic

    38 minutes ago
  • Telangana launches online complaint system for private schools

    1 hour ago
  • Treesa-Gayatri credit home crowd after reaching BWF World Championships quarterfinals

    1 hour ago
  • ACB registers DA case against Ibrahimpatnam revenue official, searches six locations

    18 minutes ago
  • KBR Park traffic loop leaves pedestrians struggling with missing footpaths, crossings

    2 hours ago
  • AP Rajya Sabha MP’s son arrested in Hyderabad accident death case

    2 hours ago
  • Polytechnic education faces crisis in Telangana over proposed shift to Skills University

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam