Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Sri Lankan President Forms Committee To Probe Alleged Complicity In 2019 Bombings

Sri Lankan President forms committee to probe alleged complicity in 2019 bombings

According to revelation by the controversial video, the massacre which killed 270 locals and foreigners and injured over 500 was aimed at bringing former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to power at the election that followed.

By IANS
Published Date - 10 September 2023, 05:49 PM
Sri Lankan President forms committee to probe alleged complicity in 2019 bombings
File Photo
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Colombo: Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe on Sunday said he will appoint a retired Supreme Court judge-headed committee to probe allegations made by UK’s Channel 4 TV that intelligence of the South Asian country was complicit in the 2019 Easter Sunday bombings, President Media Division (PMD) said.

In addition to the probe by the committee, the government also plans to appoint a Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) to inquire into the allegation levelled by a former Attorney General who stated that there was a mastermind behind the Easter attack.

Also Read

  • SL President proposes inclusion of Hindi and Chinese in future children’s curriculum
  • Sri Lankan envoy congratulates India ahead of Chandrayaan-3 soft landing

President Wickremesinghe has noted that upon completion of the investigations into the Easter attacks, the PSC reports and the Presidential Commission on the Easter bomb attack would be presented to parliament before any final decisions are made, the PMD stated.

On September 5, Channel 4 in its regular documentary series titled ‘Dispatches’, dropped a bombshell revelation that the Easter Sunday suicide attacks by a group of ISIS connected local Islamic extremists had been carried out with the knowledge of Sri Lankan Military Intelligence officials.

According to revelation by the controversial video, the massacre which killed 270 locals and foreigners and injured over 500 was aimed at bringing former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to power at the election that followed.

Based on interviews given by a whistle-blowers including one who said to have arranged a meeting with suicide bombers and the then Director General of Military Intelligence (DGMI), Major General Suresh Sallay, Channel 4 alleged military and Gotabaya government prevented proper investigation in the coordinated suicide bomb attacks by six suicide bombers who detonated almost on the same time at three crowded churches and three star-class hotels.

Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Maj. Gen. Sallay who is also the present head of the State Intelligent Service (SIS), immediately denied Channel 4 allegations and later Defence Ministry too categorically rejected the UK TVs charges.

They announced that in 2016-2018, Sallay was serving as a diplomat in Malaysia and from January 2019 he was undergoing training at the National Defence College Course in Delhi. Following the release of Channel 4 video, Sri Lanka’s opposition parties and the Catholic Church which had been complaining about the credibility of earlier investigations, demanded for an international investigation.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Catholic Church
  • Gotabaya Rajapaksa
  • Ranil Wickremesinghe
  • Sri Lanka

Related News

  • Suryakumar Yadav to be Brand Ambassador of JITO Premier League in Colombo

    Suryakumar Yadav to be Brand Ambassador of JITO Premier League in Colombo

  • 1st Test: Rahul, Devdutt steady India at 101/1 at lunch against Sri Lanka

    1st Test: Rahul, Devdutt steady India at 101/1 at lunch against Sri Lanka

  • Sai Sudharsan ruled out of Sri Lanka Tests, Sarfaraz named replacement

    Sai Sudharsan ruled out of Sri Lanka Tests, Sarfaraz named replacement

  • Padikkal’s unbeaten 142 strengthens case for India’s No. 3 spot

    Padikkal’s unbeaten 142 strengthens case for India’s No. 3 spot

Latest News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    6 hours ago
  • Labourer arrested for allegedly harassing two MBBS interns in Haryana college

    6 hours ago
  • Opinion: Break the chain of online child sexual exploitation

    6 hours ago
  • Editorial: Caste census exercise gets tricky

    6 hours ago
  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    6 hours ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    6 hours ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    7 hours ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    7 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam